Creating Games with cocos2d for iPhone 2
Authors: Paul Nygard
Published on: Dec 24, 2012
Price (New): $40.49 US
Read the iDevGames review of this book.
Master cocos2d through building nine complete games for the iPhone
- Games are explained in detail, from the design decisions to the code itself.
- Learn to build a wide variety of game types, from a memory tile game to an endless runner.
- Use different design approaches to help you explore the cocos2d framework.
Cocos2d for iPhone is a simple (but powerful) 2D framework that makes it easy to create games for the iPhone. There are thousands of games in the App Store already using cocos2d. Game development has never been this approachable and easy to get started.
"Creating Games with cocos2d for iPhone 2" takes you through the entire process of designing and building nine complete games for the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad using cocos2d 2.0. The projects start simply and gradually increase in complexity, building on the lessons learned in previous chapters. Good design practices are emphasized throughout.
From a simple match game to an endless runner, you will learn how to build a wide variety of game styles.
You will learn how to implement animation, actions, create “artificial randomness”, use the Box2D physics engine, create tile maps, and even use Bluetooth to play between two devices.
"Creating games with cocos2d for iPhone 2" will take your game building skills to the next level.
What you will learn from this book
- Control sprites with touch, joysticks, and tilt controls.
- Use sprite sheets, particles, and plists effectively.
- Learn multiple approaches to solve common challenges.
- Integrate cocos2d with the Box2D physics engine.
- Use third-party programs for joystick control, tile maps, and more.
- Implement Bluetooth to play across multiple devices.
- Learn game-specific A.I. design methodologies.
There are nine complete games with increasing complexity built in this book. The process of game building is well-illustrated with screenshots and explained code.
Who this book is written for
This book is aimed at readers with an understanding of Objective-C and some familiarity with the cocos2d for iPhone 2.0 framework.