Cocos2d for iPhone 1 Game Development Cookbook
Authors: Nathan Burba
Published on: Dec 15, 2011
Price (New): $44.43 US
Read the iDevGames review of this book.
Product DescriptionOver 100 recipes for iOS 2D game development using Cocos2d for iPhone.
- Discover advanced Cocos2d, OpenGL ES, and iOS techniques spanning all areas of the game development process
- Learn how to create top-down isometric games, side-scrolling platformers, and games with realistic lighting
- Full of fun and engaging recipes with modular libraries that can be plugged into your project
Cocos2d for iPhone is a robust but simple-to-use 2D game framework for iPhone. It is easy to use, fast, flexible, free, and App Store approved. More than 2500 App Store games already use it, including many best-seller games. Do you want to take your cocos2d game development skills to the next level and become more professional in cocos2d game design?
Cocos2d for iPhone 1 Game Development Cookbook will help you reach that next level. You will find over 100 recipes here that explain everything from the drawing of a single sprite to AI pathfinding and advanced networking. Full working examples are emphasized.
Starting with the first chapter, Graphics, you will be taken through every major topic of game development. You will find both simple and complex recipes in the book.
Each recipe is either a solution to a common problem (playing video files, accelerometer steering) or a cool advanced technique (3D rendering, textured polygons).
This cookbook will have you creating professional quality iOS games quickly with its breadth of working example code.
What you will learn from this book
- Render, manipulate, animate, and optimize Cocos2d sprites, primitives and particles
- Learn advanced graphical techniques including 2D lighting, rendering textured polygons, and drawing 3D primitive shapes
- Use third party libraries for data, networking, and more
- Gain a deep understanding of the Box2D physics engine
- Create multiplayer networked games and games with intelligent AI actors
- Learn tips, tricks, and best practices used by professional game developers
This book is full of fun and engaging recipes with modular libraries that can be plugged into your project. Each recipe consists of explained code accompanied by screenshots for your understanding.
Who this book is written for
If you want to elevate your basic Cocos2d project to the next level, this is the book for you. Some understanding of Objective-C and Cocos2d is recommended. People with some programming experience may also find this book useful.