iDevGames Forums

Full Version: Tweak running app from desktop?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've been thinking about ways to tweak a running iPhone app, from the desktop. I have a simulation with parameters that would be nice to fiddle with as the app is running, instead of updating data and re-sandboxing it and uploading it to the device. I can imagine other uses as well, tweaking performance, layouts, turn radiuses, resetting levels...

Is there such a tool? I know I could break and do this through GDB, but doing it "live" would be priceless for me.

If there isn't one, I'll straight-up write it myself. Is there a recommended RPC approach between desktop/iPhone?

Thanks for any input! Smile
This article from a couple years back has an example of how to do this using Lua: http://mysterycoconut.com/blog/2010/07/tweak-away/

Kinda neat, but a little ObjC heavy for me. I'd be tempted to make a more traditional Quake style in-game console, then add remote access after the fact. I've done a few of these on desktop platforms but never got around to porting one to my iOS framework.

Perhaps even more useful than tweaking variables would be the ability to upload (or have the game download) new graphic/audio assets on demand. IIRC Graeme Devine described remote tweaking and asset updating at a WWDC a few years back when he worked at Apple, but I don't think they ever released any sample code.
That will do excellently for the RPC thingy. I think I'll run a little one-man hackathon tonight and see if I can come up with something fun. Thanks for the tip!
Including a small HTTP server in the debug builds of the game is pretty simple... I'm sure there are articles on that.
Yeah, definitely. I was mostly curious if I was building something that already exists. Looking forward to a fun night!
Reference URL's