iDevGames Forums

Full Version: Subspace Continuum for Mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ghost

I will start working on making Subspace Continuum to OS X. I would like some help-- and if your interested, you can download a .sit archive I made to start on the project.

http://www.fgsoft.net/icontinuum/

Basically Continuum is an online multiplayer-game where you fly around in a spaceship and try to gather flags and return them to your base. What I am trying to make is the client, which connects to the multiple servers to retrieve "zones," which house maps to download. The person who programmed Continuum is lazy and conceded so he won't give out his source code. I haven't gotten anywhere yet on the project, but the .sit archive includes:

- Continuum .38 for Windows (so you can try out the game and see what it's like)
- Coding to a start of a Linux version in C. (it includes protocal to help you get going)
- All the graphics and sounds for Continuum (in .bmp's and .wav's)
- A link to a site for information on Continuum protocal.

I would appreciate if anybody could get a start on this-- fgsoft.net (my company) will also get going. This will be open source eventually once we get everything put together.

If you get any part of the client working please email it to me. (tim@fgsoft.net)

Thanks!

P.S. Once we get part of the client working we'll post our source code here so we can work off of it.

If you get some "base" code written (a basic outline of the program) please post it so we can add onto it and make it better.

BriareosH

I really wish you luck with this project. :-) I hope you'll get enough help to complete, I would love to play this on Mac...no more extremely sluggish performance with VPC... Mad
Well, did this never succeed? I could've used Continuum for Mac too...

My crappy Windows desktop... lol.
I'm interested too. I used to play subspace and then continuum years ago, really a great game if the zone settings are nice.
I moved this thread- seeing it in Announcements just got my hopes up. Smile
The number of people playing in the zones seem to have been steadily declining, but a port to the Mac definitely might revive the game, and some zones like Gauntlet and Trench Wars seem to be immune to the decline in players Smile
-wyrmmage
I believe there has been a port to MacOS X, and other OSes:

http://ss-discretion.sourceforge.net/

foosh
Hi there,

Discretion would probably be your best bet for active development of a new SubSpace/Continuum client, where as PSpace is also an interesting project that should work fine on all architectures and is already quite ripe (some bugs, and encryption isn't fully implemented). However, if you'd like to just play Continuum on OS X, I have recently released some documentation (that needs some tweaking) to run Continuum through Wine. It runs very smoothly on my Macbook Pro and should run fine on any Intel Mac.

Please leave me a message or reply if you have any problems, or have any questions about client development in particular.

Thanks,

krslynx
I know this is bumping an old topic BUT, I just got continuum 0.40 working on the mac yesterday AND packaged in a convenient .app using the amazing app WineSkin!

I uploaded it to Mediafire:

[ LINK REMOVED, SEE POST BELOW FOR UPDATED VERSION ]

It is about 90mb and has been tested on 10.7.1 and 10.6.8! Also there seems to be a little issue with sound but the game runs smooth and fast!

Enjoy!

- Matt
Alright guys, next mac version is bundled up and looking SHARP -> Continuum 0.40b Mac (Notice the 'b')

I've updated WINE and the WINESKIN engine!

Tested on 10.6.8 and 10.8.2

NEW IN GAMEPLAY
-------
- Sound seems to work FULLY (so far)
- GMA945 Integrated Graphics now work!
- All zones tested are playable now (ie: hyperspace)

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?aqfqf423g9br97f

- Matt
Hi spiffyguy, just wanted to say great job on this - this project is a long time coming now and I'm glad someone got to it. With that said, are there any intentions of publishing this on the Apple App store? I've sent you a PM, let me know what plans are for this!

Stryke
I do not have a developer account to make that happen! Maybe soon though... I wouldn't say I have a 'plan' per se. I am an amateur programmer and have been playing subspace since I was a kid and thought if there was a way to get it working on mac then I could enjoy the game longer!

Thanks for the support!
OMG - if this works Ill kiss you!

LOL

OMG it WORKS - Subspace be RE-BORN!!!!!!!

Many hours - I am going to spread this around -

Where can I donate?????
Reference URL's