iDevGames Forums

Full Version: No java in lion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I feel like this would already have been discussed, but I didn't see anything from a search.
So Lion dropped it's Java Runtime Environment. It'll still download the Snow Leopard version if you run anything java, but that'll get progressively older as time goes on. I suppose this what I'm asking is what this means for me as someone who programs in Java?
Obviously, many people in the development community will keep it installed, but probably not the case for the average game playing community? After I 'finish' (Wink) my UDG entry in java, should I just move on to c++ or suchlike?
You can't use Java for the MAS, so that puts a big hole in many potential clients.

For the future, Apple announced they'd passed the buck ( my words, http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/...-OS-X.html ) to Oracle. That'll obviously have some advantages and some disadvantages.
Fortunately, you wouldn't make any money on the MAS anyway. Rasp

Yeaaaah, Upshot is at $75 now.

On Lion, your users will be prompted to auto install Java. And they'll all have it from playing minecraft anyway. Although it does suck that the language is somewhat at the mercy of the regularly changing whims of Apple... *shrugs*
Interesting, so it looks like it's more going the way of flash...

Thanks for the info then, I mostly wanted to make sure that -someone- would be updating the JRE as the language and operating system continue to update.

Edit: Also, what does this mean for future uDG's, once 10.7 has superseded 10.6, given rule #8 (about needing to run on a 'fresh install' ).
I think Apple wants apps that don't need runtimes to use. I totally agree with this. Code in C, PureBasic, or something similar. Wink
It means Java will be disallowed for future uDGs (unless you can compile to native code with GCJ, or bundle a JRE, or similar)
Reference URL's