Why always MMORPG's?

Sage
Why is it that it seems like everyone wants to make a MMORPG as their first game? I can't remember anyone ever saying that they want to make a Tetris clone. Are MMORPG's really that popular, or is it that people that play MMORPG's are more likely to be inspired to make their own game?

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Quote this message in a reply
Well, judging that WoW has claimed several lives, I'd say that they are very popular. Wink I do find it entertaining, though, that every new person here seems to want to make an MMORPG when all they know is HTML. I guess since MMORPGs are getting rather popular these days, and its usually younger people who want to make MMORPGs as their first game. I guess they simply don't realize just how difficult it is.
Luminary
It's the games people play and enjoy that they want to clone.

In 1997, everyone wanted to make an RTS Wink
Speaking of RTSs, I think that Star Craft has claimed several lives as well. Could Blizzard be the game company that has caused the most deaths? Rasp Could either be positive or negative attention. (Our games are to die for!) Wink
Sage
'I want to make a MMORPG!!' sound's like your totally going for it, diving in the deep end with all your might,
'I want to make a BOUNCING BALL APPLET' just sounds plain stupid, I think these people would feel embarrassed to ask about something so trivial.

That or its a bunch of trolls.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
people want to have a social life and play games at the same time Rasp

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
hmm..... well I don't want to make an MMORPG, probably because I don't play any.
I want to make a first person RTS Smile
Max
akb825 Wrote:Speaking of RTSs, I think that Star Craft has claimed several lives as well. Could Blizzard be the game company that has caused the most deaths? Rasp Could either be positive or negative attention. (Our games are to die for!) Wink
StarCraft claimed more than lives, it claimed a country! South Korea is completely addicted to StarCraft. Anyway, I think there are too many MMORPGs now. Casual video games, that's the next trend.

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
I agree that they are simply inspired by the games they enjoy playing. The fact that it happens to be the most complicated type of game to develop doesn't mean anything to someone that doesn't know that. It seems to me that these are fairly obvious assertions. But there is another point beyond that which is maybe not quite so obvious but far more annoying. After messing around with game programming myself for a few years, I find that pretty much everybody I know really didn't (or maybe still doesn't) have any initial respect for it. Why!? I think they all have some pre-conceived notion that since games are fun and they aren't "business-like, serious productivity apps" then they most certainly must be a joke to program into the computer. I mean, "Look at all the games out there. They must be really easy to make!"...

[edit, adding more] Most people seem not to realize that the reason there are only one or two popular productivity apps in a category is because the competition and the nature of that market dictate that competing standards doesn't usually work well. Games don't usually compete for standards with each other so there is no competition in that respect. There is always room for another game, whereas there is only room for one word processor.
akb825 Wrote:Well, judging that WoW has claimed several lives, I'd say that they are very popular. Wink
IT HAS NOT! I'm still alive Sneaky
(Feb 5, 2006 09:31 AM)Max Wrote:  [QUOTE=akb825]Casual video games, that's the next trend.

I don't want to totally dig up an old thread, but... I guess I am anyway.

I was looking for the "So you want to make a MMORPG?" thread and stumbled upon this one... and that quote by akb825 was pretty prescient, and I think fairly unknown at the time in 2006. Once the iPhone came around it was clear casual games were the way to go... but what about in 2006?

Just wanted to say here's iDG predicting the future course of the gaming world Smile

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
(Feb 5, 2006 09:16 AM)ferum Wrote:  hmm..... well I don't want to make an MMORPG, probably because I don't play any.
I want to make a first person RTS Smile

Are you Sure?
There was a bunch of those made back in 1997 or so also.

Im not sure it was a good thing Wink

- Mac Lead ZeniMax Online Studios
- Owner Plaid World Studios
- Resume: http://www.chrisdillman.com
Reads ChrisD's response to a post ... posted eight years ago ... posted by a user who last visited five years ago Blink

funkboy, what hath thou wrought? Cry

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer