Switch over the forum to myBB?

Founder
MODs, you can take a look at the 'silver' theme that was talked about in an earlier post. Go to your User CP and you can set it as your default.

It's not bad, but I've not decided which way we will go, or if I will support more than one theme. I'd like the forums to be branded as the main site.. which is due for an update.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Why the heck would that help performance? Not like it's gonna touch the ones that aren't used. Just leave 'em, you never know what'll be useful.
When a syntax highlighting developer complains that something is slow, they're usually trying to tell you to not use it for a live-highlighting implementation (like in a text editor).

Even a "slow" highlighter is plenty fast enough for a forum.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Yah, I agree, just leave all the syntax highlighting files in there, at least to start with. If it somehow affects performance (which I doubt) then it's easy to change later. As always, I guess even with the web, premature optimization is the root of all evil Wink
Founder
(Jul 22, 2010 08:04 PM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  Why the heck would that help performance? Not like it's gonna touch the ones that aren't used. Just leave 'em, you never know what'll be useful.
Yeah? I was unsure if the system 'loads' them all or just calls them when it needs them.

I have bumped up the PM limits per request.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
I have set the display of user information over to the left, just as we once had it.
It will display your location and vocation as well, if you have them set in your profile.
http://www.idevgames.com/forums/usercp.p...on=profile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
(Jul 27, 2010 09:41 PM)Carlos Camacho Wrote:  I have set the display of user information over to the left, just as we once had it.
It will display your location and vocation as well, if you have them set in your profile.
http://www.idevgames.com/forums/usercp.p...on=profile

Yay! Smile

Would it be possible to replace the generated links for the code tags to read <language> Code: instead of <language> Programming? Also, it seems that when you use a simple code tag it limits the vertical space to a maximum, but that isn't done when you choose a specific language for syntax highlighting with, for example, code=C, as in this thread:
http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-7914.html

Is there an option in the plugin to set a maximum height for the code box? If not, I could try to find what can be tweaked in the css to match the regular code boxes' behavior.
Founder
Quote:Would it be possible to replace the generated links for the code tags to read <language> Code: instead of <language> Programming?
I have done this. Please test to make sure it is running OK. I also removed the link on the text.

The simple code tag and the syntax code tag are different, thus the difference you see. The simple code tag is built into the system. I just have to look at the style sheet for that. The highlighting code tag is via a plugin which I have been tweaking.

The simple code tag uses the following CSS:
Code:
.codeblock {
    background: #efefef;
    border: 1px solid #ccc;
    padding: 4px;
}

.codeblock .title {
    background-color: #ddd;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-bottom: 10px;
    color: #666;
}

.codeblock code {
    overflow: auto;
    height: auto;
    max-height: 200px;
    display: block;
    font-family:  "Lucida Console", "Lucida Sans Typewriter", Monaco, "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
    font-size: 11px;
    color: #333;
}
max-height is set to 200px

Please make your suggestion along with any other suggestions to the code CSS.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I couldn't quite get it to look the same (unless you are willing to make relatively major editions to the plugin-generated code), but it's a bit closer to the regular code box look:
[Image: screenshot20100730at121.png]

edit: for reference, this is what the language code box currently looks like:
[code=c]//some code
doSomething();[/code]

There are three steps:

1. Add this to global.css:
Code:
.geshicode_h {
    background-color: #ddd;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-bottom: 20px;
    color: #666;
    border: 1px solid #ccc;
}

.geshicode_b {
    overflow: auto;
    padding-left: 5px;
    margin-top: 3px;
    height: auto;
    max-height: 200px;
    display: block;
    color: #333;
    background-color: #efefef;
}

.geshicode_b pre {
    font-family:  "Lucida Console", "Lucida Sans Typewriter", Monaco, "Courier New", Courier, monospace;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-size: 11px;
}

2. By itself, most of the css styles I pasted above will get overwritten by custom styles from the plugin. The following custom styles in that plugin should be commented out/removed:
Code:
style="padding: 5px; background-color: rgb(223,
223, 223); border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170);"
(that is written right before the "C Code" title, so it should be near the same section you edited before when switching "Programming" for "Code")
Code:
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);
padding-left: 5px; border: 1px solid rgb(187, 187, 187);"
(that appears right after "C Code")

3. There is a stray <br> tag right before the outer div from the code box closes, that should also be removed to avoid the fat border at the bottom
Founder
PowerMacX, how is that?

Thanks

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
A quick question to Carlos or any other mods: is it possible to-/how do you- change the subject of a thread? Eg. at the moment there's a thread by a user looking for Cocoa game tutorials or books, but there's no way you would infer that from the subject, which is "Either the code".

Mark Bishop
(Aug 1, 2010 12:20 PM)sealfin Wrote:  A quick question to Carlos or any other mods: is it possible to-/how do you- change the subject of a thread? Eg. at the moment there's a thread by a user looking for Cocoa game tutorials or books, but there's no way you would infer that from the subject, which is "Either the code".
I think we can edit those by right-clicking on the thread title. I'll go try it now...

It seems to have worked. I changed it to "Looking for game tutorials or books". Is that what shows up for you now too?

Feel free to change it to whatever you'd like to try it out for yourself.
@AnotherJake: Thanks! I've just edited your edit to include "Cocoa" in the subject for clarification...

Mark Bishop
Founder
MyBB 1.6 is out. I will wait a tad and then update us. Feature-wise nothing great, except for MOD and Admin improvements. Though speed/performance has been improved.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
rgdot
Unregistered

Hi all...I guess this is not exactly the typical reason to register here but any insight is very appreciated

I am evaluating doing something similar (vBulletin to MyBB) for my site and was wondering if there is anything from your experience that would be helpful to someone else like me.
I am most concerned about how lightweight MyBB really is because in my case one of the reasons leaving vBulletin is because I am downgrading my hosting. Any thought from Carlos or anybody appreciated, thanks Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  PSA: Java exploit on an iOS dev forum PowerMacX 3 1,683 Feb 24, 2013 10:11 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  Forum Font Size AnotherJake 10 14,782 Dec 23, 2010 08:10 AM
Last Post: gnurf
  Can't find "new posts" feature in new forum software. I am about to start a riot. stevejohnson 10 8,698 Jul 30, 2010 07:46 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Forum downtime 2/25-26 Carlos Camacho 4 4,750 Feb 27, 2010 10:56 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Forum Updates Carlos Camacho 4 4,916 Oct 11, 2009 11:20 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake