BOH news

Apprentice
Hello,

since the previous thread was in the old forums, I'm opening a new one here to keep posted those who are interested in BOH.

Today's good news is that update13 is out, and it happens to be rather massive Wow

[Image: 15672089.png] [Image: 92928365.png]

More specifically, this update:
* adds world standings: the game can send automatically the local records to a global server that keeps the real-time standings of all the players in the world who make use of this new feature;
* adds a new tile kind: the message point, i.e. a location that reveals a message (a hint, a riddle, a part of story, etc.);
* uses the messages points to make many missions more intriguing and to improve the tutorial missions (which have also been slightly modified for greater effectiveness);
* adds the theme "pyramid";
* adds 5 new missions;
* adds the possibility of specifying a success epilogue and a failure epilogue for each phase;
* reworks automappers: the more powerful one now covers the same area of the other one, but provides also an alternative rendering mode whereby the map reflects faithfully the actual colors of the tiles;
* makes movements of enemies clearer;
* allows the RM to open locked passages and exits only when facing them;
* removes sidestepping;
* makes [SPACE] the default automapper key;
* makes the alignment of menu texts definable by the theme designer;
* improves a few strings in some translations;
* improves and updates the manuals;
* applies various other changes.

The update can be downloaded for free from the DOWNLOADS page of the official website.
The demos have been updated to reflect the changes.

As always, enjoy Wink
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
The SDL_net framework you have embedded in the .app bundle is missing its .framework extension.

Otherwise this is a pretty cool game. It's amazing the amount of time you've put into making this game.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Apprentice
(Aug 18, 2010 12:41 PM)Skorche Wrote:  The SDL_net framework you have embedded in the .app bundle is missing its .framework extension.

Oh, my! Fail
I just can't understand how that could happen! It's really beyond me: the archive gets automatically built by a makefile which does have all the ".framework" strings in place!!!
Thanks a lot for the report. I'll fix it ASAP - unfortunately, at the moment the ISP has made the website unreachable, and I'll have to wait until tomorrow to contact them Mad

Quote:Otherwise this is a pretty cool game. It's amazing the amount of time you've put into making this game.

Thanks, I'm glad you appreciate my effort (3 years of development, to be precise).
Apprentice
The provider finished the maintenance and so I could update the demo archive.

I thought about the missing ".framework" issue for a while and remembered what happened: at some point I copied the most up-to-date directory manually without the extension to make absolutely sure that the copy succeeded (i.e. I didn't want to trust the simple replacement of library files that had been used), but then I forgot to complete the operation. In short, to err on the safe side... I just erred Wacko
Sage
Didn't see this on Apple's download page. You should put it up there as that is where most OS X users find their software.

Apprentice
(Aug 19, 2010 06:43 AM)Skorche Wrote:  Didn't see this on Apple's download page. You should put it up there as that is where most OS X users find their software.

You're absolutely right - thanks. Submitted Wink
Apprentice
Hello people,

of course, you wouldn't expect me to let the year end without giving BOH players one freebie, would you? Wink The 14th update is now out! It ups the total number of missions to a whopping 50 (for many tens of hours of play), brings a few enhancements and makes life easier to who enjoys creating his own missions!

[Image: screenshotc643n.png]

* reworks the advanced automapper (the realistic mode has been replaced with the fullscreen view, which allows to see more; the controls have been made more comfortable);
* improves the video modes suggestions;
* allows terminating map lines with CR+LF;
* improves error logging;
* improves the graphics of blocks in theme "C64";
* adds 5 new missions;
* retouches slightly a few missions;
* retouches slightly the Spanish translation;
* updates the manuals;
* applies various other changes.

The update can be downloaded for free from the DOWNLOADS page of the official website.

Enjoy!
Sage
It's truly astounding to me the amount of work you've put into this game. There is so much content for it and it's supported on 5 OSes!

Apprentice
(Dec 9, 2010 01:39 PM)Skorche Wrote:  It's truly astounding to me the amount of work you've put into this game. There is so much content for it and it's supported on 5 OSes!

Thank you, I'm very happy you appreciate all that Smile
Hey, this thread never showed up in my "get new posts". Really nice work, Saimo! The random themes really surprised me on my second launch. I thought I opened another game.

Nice progression, good interesting items. It gives the game a very Knytt story feel.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Apprentice
(Dec 9, 2010 03:02 PM)AndyKorth Wrote:  Hey, this thread never showed up in my "get new posts".

Well, I'm happy it did, now!

Quote:Really nice work, Saimo!

Thanks!

Quote:The random themes really surprised me on my second launch. I thought I opened another game.

LOL
FYI: the default setting is that themes cycle every time the user returns to the menu, but it can be configured in several ways (have a look at the options).

Quote:Nice progression, good interesting items. It gives the game a very Knytt story feel.

I wish I knew what a Knytt story is like Rasp

@all

I'll seize the chance to mention that BOH is one of the 100 indie games that made it to the second phase of the Indie of the Year Awards - if you think it deserves to go further, vote for it!
Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm extremely happy to celebrate BOH's 3rd birthday by informing you that I have just released the 15th and final update, which brings even more contents and improvements!

[Image: screenshot-C64-7N.png]

* adds 5 missions;
* adds the Dutch translation;
* optimizes even further the rendering engine;
* replaces the transition effect with a cooler one;
* centers the graphics vertically when playing in a screen bigger than the game area;
* allows providing just alphamask files for all the graphics of themes;
* replaces icons with bigger and crisper ones;
* allows to configure the URL for the submissions of records to the online world standings (so that, in future, standings will remain accessible also if the URL changes);
* updates the manuals;
* applies various other minor optimizations/fixes.

The update can be downloaded for free from the DOWNLOADS page of the official website at http://www.bohthegame.com.
Apprentice
Hi all,

I'd like to let you know that, thanks to the warm and positive feedback received, today I have released the BOH soundtrack, in a deluxe package prepared with the same meticulous care that characterizes BOH throughout.

[Image: cdmockups.png]

The package contains:
* 18 tracks (6 menu tunes, 6 failure jingles and 6 success jingles, for a total of over 11 minutes) in CD quality;
* a print-quality, jewel case-format, 8-page booklet which accompanies the reader on an aural journey through the mazes of BOH;
* a print-quality, jewel case-format, double-sided inlay;
* a color serigraphy for high-quality CD stickers and pressed CD labels;
* a black-and-white serigraphy for LightScribe labels.

Everybody can download the soundtrack for free from http://www.bohthegame.com/downloads.html

(Note: the picture is only a mockup of how a real CD would look like.)
Apprentice
Hi everybody,

yesterday it was the 5th anniversary of BOH and I could not find a better way to celebrate the event than releasing a brand-new edition that majestically closes the incredible evolution the game underwent since its original release.

[Image: BkZp1WmCEAASqM5.png]

The 5th Anniversary Edition:
* includes all the updates released previously;
* reworks the video modes handling (full screen by default; window on 16-bit screens allowed; more robust; etc.);
* adds the CRT and LCD pixel modes;
* adds the 5x zoom;
* adds 5 new missions, bringing the total to a massive 60;
* assigns the pause to the [ESCAPE] key (instead of a specific key), which thus no longer causes the immediate abort of the current mission;
* reworks the menu controls (more keys; do not depend anymore on the in-game controls configuration);
* adds the emergency configuration reset (assigned to the key [F12]);
* adds the screenshot functionality (assigned to the key [F1]);
* makes quitting by means of [ALT]+[F4] available on all platforms;
* sets the default URL for records submission to http://www.retream.com/BOH (it is no longer necessary to specify such URL manually in the configuration file);
* replaces the copy code with an email address for the records submission;
* updates the manuals;
* applies many other optimizations/changes/fixes, for more performance, polish and robustness.

It comes on a new CD image that contains:
* the AmigaOS, AROS, Linux, MacOS and Windows versions;
* universal installers that can install the game from scratch or update any previous version;
* the soundtrack (CD-quality audio files and print-quality jewel case materials).

It is now available also from IndieGameStand*, besides Desura*, Gameolith* and, of course, the official website.
Users can download it for free from http://www.retream.com/BOH/download.php?ID=code (where "code" is the personal copy code).

*Please note that it might take a few days before the updated version appears on these shops.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bohthegame
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bohthegame
Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/boh
IndieGameStand: http://indiegamestand.com/store/870/boh
Gameolith: http://www.gameolith.com/game/boh/
GameStop: http://www.impulsedriven.com/boh