Big changes coming to iDevGames

Founder
Seems Seth is laid up with a bad back. He must have been so shocked that he feinted and thus hurt his back. Or did you all throw him up in the air too many times?

I've digging up as much stuff that I could find from all these years and uploading it to his machine. I'm sure I will find more stuff once I unpack all those boxes in my basement.

Thanks for the many kind words.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
(Nov 20, 2010 01:59 PM)aaronsullivan Wrote:  P.S. Cool, Matt. Downloading Pawns! now. Smile Still think you should have taken me up on anthropomorphizing the chess pieces. Wink

You won't get argument from me. Rocco actually had a run at it too.. I need to learn how to work smoothly with others- a goal for some future contest.

Hope you enjoy Pawns anyway. :-) Very glad to hear Snowball lives on.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Nibbie
Well, it's been so long since I've posted here that my account had been deleted, but I'd like to thank you Carlos, for all of the years of hard work and dedication that you've put into iDG. The site and community have been instrumental to my education and development skills. Best of luck in your future endeavors Smile

Also, hopefully in a few months I'll finally be able to get back into indie game development, so thank you Seth for taking over so that the site will be here when I come back Ninja
I can certainly say I owe a lot to iDevGames and Carlos for creating this community. I have come and gone over the years, but always lurked even when I haven't posted much. Despite the fact that I have only managed to release one complete OSX/iOS game since my OS9 days, visiting this community has always kept me inspired to do more. It's just life getting in the way that slows me down.

So, a million thank yous Carlos! Best of luck for your future endevours and I sure hope you won't be a stranger in these parts.

And best of luck Seth! Can't wait to see where the site goes from here.
Wow, thanks for the mention! This is one of the first communities I'd been an active member in and those years were great. Sadly, I only check in every couple of years at this point to make sure it's still alive and well. I'm glad to see that Seth will be carrying the torch. Carlos, I've missed regular communication with you all these years, but glad to hear you'll still be lurking out there somewhere. There are many others on the forums that I miss as well.

With my copies of Learn C on the Macintosh and The Black Art of Mac Game Programming, I first started following along when this was MacGameDesigner.com. A fews years later I got a Bondi iMac, discovered Carlos had rebranded the site, and I started getting into OpenGL. It was a lot of fun & frustration over the years. Sadly, I never did get into professional game dev like I always dreamed of. Someday, right?

My old site, incl. a classic IDG logo and my two (?) Mac game dev articles are still preserved on mausoleum.makkintosshu.com. Sadly, most of my OpenGL demos seem to have existed on an iDisk (probably iTools, at the time) and I hope could be pulled from one of my backup CDs.

Good luck and keep makin' games, all!
I'd like to add my thanks to Carlos too. I wandered in to iDevGames.com when I was getting back into Mac programming as a side project while doing the day job working on big name console games (and getting bored). Lots of handy info on the forum, very helpful users and a few Mac and iPhone games later and I'm happily still coding iPhone stuff (with plans for more Mac games Wink ) but now my brother and I run our own company.

Hopefully iDev will continue to develop and act as a hang out for OCD forum clickers like myself Smile
(Nov 23, 2010 11:39 AM)Zwilnik Wrote:  I'd like to add my thanks to Carlos too. I wandered in to iDevGames.com when I was getting back into Mac programming as a side project while doing the day job working on big name console games (and getting bored). Lots of handy info on the forum, very helpful users and a few Mac and iPhone games later and I'm happily still coding iPhone stuff (with plans for more Mac games Wink ) but now my brother and I run our own company.

Hopefully iDev will continue to develop and act as a hang out for OCD forum clickers like myself Smile

How is StrangeFlavour coming along? Kinda lost touch Wacko
Founder
It's like a giant reunion.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Oldtimer
Wow. Just wow.
On a hunch, I decided to check back in with you guys, and it turns out I missed the party. I'll try to reminisce back to 2002, when I joined this family. I entered Galder into uDG that year, and just a week or so ago, I got an email from someone who picked it up and wondered if it's still available. How time collapses!

Carlos, thanks for mentioning my book reviews. I still have most of the books on the shelf behind me, but precious little of my life looks like it did. I really, really, heartily miss those many, many nights when I stayed up at the LCD banging away. I miss all the strange places I developed in: my family's old apartment, the subway, the subway ticket booth, at my other job, in school, just about everywhere. I remember the final stretch on El Ballo, when I didn't use a versioning system, and compiling that bastard took 20 minutes on a good run.

I think the most profound emotional memory I have left is the many times when I had something new to show, started a thread on it, and tried to keep off the forums for as long as possible, to accumulate posts on the thread. It was always so exciting to see what you guys would reply.

Post necromancy: I've apparently posted questions about DrawSprocket. Need I say more?

I made friends, real friends. I visited Sacha just this summer, and I had a nice beer with DoG here in Stockholm last winter. All the stupid stuff we did: the video conference when I and Casey released El Ballo, the long discussions every time Apple did a point release of anything, my UI kitchen lab, the Keynote hours on the IRC channel (is that still around?). So many of you influenced my life, and I know so few faces.

As for now, I've left gamedev'ing. Pretty much left developing altogether, mostly quick academic projects nowadays. In some respects, I've left gaming, excepting casual stuff on my iDevices. I miss it all, I do, but let's be realistic: I'll never find the time nor the perseverance to get back into that trench again. I have a half-finished Galder update laying around, and a really cool text-rendering library that just simply went obsolete (at least it should have - are there any good OpenGL font rendering libs around yet?).

Then again, if I sleep less, I'll have more night hours... and I still have all my stuff here... and there's the XCode download link...
Founder
I think Galder would be a good fit for iPad.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I would have to agree. iPad and iPhone both. I remember Ivan most for helping me learn Objective-C and Cocoa to make my first breakout game. With the odd name of PongStongClong. Probably annoyed him away from gamedev with all my questions Rasp.
I wonder if everyone is coming back due to the email and all. Who knows, cool to see all the faces again though.
Alex
Oldtimer
Right. You guys pushed me over the edge; I ordered the Big Nerd Ranch iphone book yesterday. Let's see if I can follow up on it... Wink
⌘-R in Chief
Awesome! It'll be great to have you back, Ivan. Even if it's only part time for holidays and weekends Wink
Luminary
And yes, the IRC channel is still at irc://irc.freenode.net#idevgames
Back in 2003, when none of my friends or family had any faith in what I was doing or where I was going in life, this community kept me going. Today, I have 2 AAA PC titles and several top 10 iTunes AppStore games under my belt. I am forever grateful.

Thanks Carlos!

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Coming soon to a school near you... Malarkey 5 6,013 Jul 6, 2008 12:25 PM
Last Post: Malarkey