Mac hardware

Apprentice
Hi all,
I am a newbie. I am a bit confused as to what Mac hardware to use for iPhone and iPad game development. Please let me know the configuration details for the system. I can purchase only one complete system at present. So please recommend configurations that offer the maximum options.

Thanks in advance !! Smile

Nagen
Quote this message in a reply
First, please do not make multiple posts of the same topic in multiple areas of the forum. Thanks.

The minimum system required for iOS development is going to be an Intel based Mac Mini. Any Intel based Mac will do. All new Macs are Intel based, so that won't be a problem if buying a new system, but watch out if you're buying used. You will also need to be running the latest OS, which is Snow Leopard, which will come pre-installed on any new Mac. On top of that you will need to sign up for the iOS developer account, which is $99 per year. Plus, you will need at least one iOS device for each category you will be developing for, such as an iPod Touch and/or iPhone and an iPad.
Luminary
Lion will arrive imminently and does not support 32-bit Macs, so an old second-hand mini may not be a good choice. For development, I'd also want one that can take 4GB of RAM.
(Jun 18, 2011 10:34 AM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  Lion will arrive imminently and does not support 32-bit Macs...

I missed that detail about Lion. I've been pretty much ignoring Lion up until just this week, actually. Makes sense though, since most Macs have been 64 bit for quite some time now.
Apprentice
Thank you @AnotherJake. I'll keep in mind your advise not to make multiple posts.
Regarding my query, do you think a Macbook Pro could serve my purpose as well ?

Thanks and Regards

Nagen
(Jun 18, 2011 10:34 AM)OneSadCookie Wrote:  Lion will arrive imminently and does not support 32-bit Macs, so an old second-hand mini may not be a good choice. For development, I'd also want one that can take 4GB of RAM.

Thanks for your reply @OneSadCookie Smile

Regards
Yes, a Macbook Pro will work great for iOS development. Just make sure you either get a new one, or else if you're getting a used one that it's 64-bit, so it's compatible with Lion.
Apprentice
(Jun 19, 2011 12:07 AM)AnotherJake Wrote:  Yes, a Macbook Pro will work great for iOS development. Just make sure you either get a new one, or else if you're getting a used one that it's 64-bit, so it's compatible with Lion.

Ohh thanks again !! Smile

Regards
Apprentice
(Jun 19, 2011 12:07 AM)AnotherJake Wrote:  Yes, a Macbook Pro will work great for iOS development. Just make sure you either get a new one, or else if you're getting a used one that it's 64-bit, so it's compatible with Lion.

I just have a few more queries:
a) I do not know which languages and compilers are required for development in this platform. I've heard of Objective-C, cocoa, X-code. Please advise. Also please let me know if compilers for these languages would cost ad if so how much ?
b) If I now purchase a 64-bit MacBook Pro running on Snow Leopard, would it be possible to automatically upgrade it for free to Lion when Lion is released ?

Since I am in India, will these compilers and OS upgrades be available in India ?

c) Also, is it necessary to use the languages in developing the games if one uses SDKs like for instance the Corona SDK ?

Would be of great help if you could assist me on these queries !!

Thanks and Regards
India is a supported country in iTunes and the Mac App Store, so you shouldn't be left out :)

If you buy a new Mac or a refurb now you'll get Lion, guaranteed. You might be shipped a computer with Snow Leopard, but Lion will be available for free to all who bought a Mac after the most recent WWDC.

You have three ways of getting Xcode for development: Included with the Mac (not sure if this still is the case with Lion, though), bought for $5 (or equivalent tier 5 price) on the MAS, or included with the $99/year Mac developer subscription (which also gives you their operating systems for free, in case you buy a pre-owned/refurbished Mac with just Snow Leopard).

You need to use a little bit of Cocoa at least to get a window and basic input going on a Mac, therefore Objective-C. But you can mix it with C and C++ if you want to (although using Coca for a Mac/iOS-only product has benefits, since Cocoa is a very expansive API). If you're using Corona you're using whatever it lets you code in.

For Mac, really anything that produces a binary that passes the Apple evaluations on submission will work. That includes Unity, Shiva and so on, not just C-dialect source you compiled.

Oh, and about recommended Macs: If you can afford it, I think the current iMacs have more resale value later than the current mini. But a refresh of the mini is imminent, so you might want to wait and see what they unleash.
Luminary
a) The iOS development program costs $100/year, and comes with Xcode (and upgrades to Xcode for the duration). Xcode is an IDE that includes compilers for C, C++, Objective C and Objective C++.

b) New Macs get Lion for free: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ ; older ones it will cost $30: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

c) Third-Party SDKs may (or may not) use other languages and tools.

(edit: beaten to the punch)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Detecting hardware, which iPhone/iPod I'm running on? Jamie W 9 7,265 Apr 13, 2010 11:27 AM
Last Post: Frank C.