Portfolio APP

Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I have just completed a personal project of mine, which was to create an application that could be used on mobile devices as sort of an interactive portfolio to be used to show of 3d models to well basically anyone you'd like
to show what you do. Now i was wondering, if this might actually be something you guys would consider to be useful for instance to take to a game conference or something like that and show your work to potential employers for example.

If you think so, then what functionality would you like to see in such an application ?

Here are 2 youtube video demonstrations of my app.

portfolio app demonstration 1

portfolio app demonstration 2

The controls are actually better than you might get from these videos, but that is because it's a little hard to record and control the objects at the same time ;-)
Quote this message in a reply
Welcome to the boards!
I think this could be very useful for 3D artists who want to show off their wares. It would be much better than simply static images. Which file formats does it support? Could the app allow an artist to simply drop 3D files into the app's Documents folder on an iPad and then automatically display every file inside there?
How would you handling texture loading for other artists?

I would think the most important things are:
1) Make the background and UI easily customizable (plain black / grey / white is probably often the most desirable color to show off an artist's models)
2) Make the models easy to import - use the drag-and-drop to Documents folder idea, or even have the app registered to allow various 3D file formats to be opened and imported automatically (.3ds, .dxf, etc.)
3) Give some easy way to apply textures (if the right file formats are supported, then that's no problem)

Interesting bonus features I could think of:
display the number of polys
toggle the view between textured, non-textured, and wireframe views of the model

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Apprentice
Thank you for replying,

Yes the points you mention have been mentioned by some others also, so it seems those are common features that people would expect in such an app. As for the model import, i was thinking of a little menu that would provide users with the option of entering url's to their objects of choice and that it would load automatically from there..

Due to the nature of the dev software that i am working with (Unity3d) supporting multiple formats is a bit of an obstacle, my easiest solution would be that the user puts together his own set of objects in a 3dpackage of his choice exports this to .fbx format, and then import those in regular Unity (which is free) all he/she would have to do next is exporting those as assets and import that package in my app via url as mentioned above.
(Mar 14, 2012 06:35 AM)BalthaTczar Wrote:  As for the model import, i was thinking of a little menu that would provide users with the option of entering url's to their objects of choice [...]

I'd recommend setting the UIFileSharingEnabled flag to YES in your Info.plist file - it will likely be a lot easier to drag and drop models into the app through iTunes than to enter URLs into the app... (which I think funkboy was suggesting when they wrote "use the drag-and-drop to Documents folder idea"?)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Apprentice
Ah yeah, i haven't really got any experience with that sort of thing yet, i'd have to check it out.. Which i will, thanks ..
Apprentice
Btw, if i were to distribute to my app commercially i would have to make use of Standard Unity which does not provide image effects.. I am not sure of your experience with Unity, but would it be possible to still have effects like motion blur, could it be somehow scripted manually ?
⌘-R in Chief
Howdy stranger.
Apprentice
Hey there ...
Apprentice
" I'd recommend setting the UIFileSharingEnabled flag to YES in your Info.plist file - it will likely be a lot easier to drag and drop models into the app through iTunes than to enter URLs into the app..."

I would greatly appreciate if you maybe could elaborate on this a little bit, i'd have to remind you i'm working with Unity3d but .. I would really like to know how this exactly is supposed to work out, i've been searching google but couldn't find any useful information on this particular subject. I was hoping some of you might be able to point me to some useful resources, tutorials maybe or anything that could help me advance my understanding of this a little for that matter ...

Thank you very much.