Affordable Sound FX Sets

Apprentice
Hi all,

I've been absent from the iDev forums for a long while, but I recently added some sound effects to my website that can be used royalty-free in games or apps, so I thought I'd let you all know. There are two sets now, but I'll be adding additional ones over the coming months. Each has about 40 sounds; the first set is "Switches and Buttons", and the second is "Latches and Metal Boxes", both of which can be quite useful for UI sounds. You can find them here:

http://atomicon.net/soundfx.html

What other kinds of sound effects would be useful to you?
Quote this message in a reply
Doors and drawers (some of the latch sounds are close.)
Rubber band snaps and twangs; springs (both realistic and cartoon), balls bouncing and being kicked

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Apprentice
Hi,

Just wanted to let developers know about my downloadable sound effects, available as a set or individually. You can preview and download all of them at my site. Cost is exceptionally low, and the sounds are totally custom and royalty-free. There are two sets presently available that could be really useful for UI sounds ("Buttons and Switches", and "Latches and Metal Boxes"), but I'll be adding more as time goes on. Let me know if you'd like anything specific and I'll see what I can do.

Apprentice
(Apr 22, 2012 07:23 AM)MattDiamond Wrote:  Doors and drawers (some of the latch sounds are close.)
Rubber band snaps and twangs; springs (both realistic and cartoon), balls bouncing and being kicked

I have a set of "stretches" and "twangs" that might be just what you're looking for. I'll post them in the next week or so (I have to do a bit of organizing to get them all set up). I also have some door / drawer sliding type sounds.

The ball bounce / kick is a great suggestion; that'll be a new set to record from scratch!
(May 2, 2012 01:39 PM)Atomicon Wrote:  I have a set of "stretches" and "twangs" that might be just what you're looking for. I'll post them in the next week or so (I have to do a bit of organizing to get them all set up).

The ball bounce / kick is a great suggestion; that'll be a new set to record from scratch!

Great! I have a use for some twangs.

Ball bounce: might want to think about wall & racquet sounds too (ping pong, tennis, racquet ball). Lots of games could use those I believe, though I personally don't have a project for them at the moment.

(Similarly, I'll suggest splashes since they could be handy for all sorts of games.)

Apprentice
Hey Matt,

Just posted a new Sound Effects pack - "Stretches and Twangs".

Just $10 for a royalty-free license for all 39 of them:

Thanks; purchased.

I'm not sure you are priced right for Indie developers; something to think about. If I was doing a game like Myst I could very well use a dozen subtly different variations of a creaking sound, and yours would be cheap at the price. But as an indie I'm more likely to want a wider variety of sounds, with fewer versions of the same sound.

Having said that, this particular game (once I write it) will feature a lot of twanging and it will be very nice to not play the exact same boing sound over and over. So maybe I've disproved my own point. :-)

Maybe as your collections grow you could sell a sampler that would be more of a cross-section.

Great music you've got up on your site, by the way.

Apprentice
Thanks Matt,

I intend to keep releasing new sets, and hopefully there will be plenty that will be useful for game designers. Regarding the pricing - you can always download just one sound, but I think it's nice to be able to select from a few examples when I'm sound designing. Sometimes one just sounds slightly better than another for a particular application. I think the price is pretty good for a whole set of sounds, especially if you think you'll use a bunch of them.

Glad you liked the music, too!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  AFFORDABLE MUSIC FOR GAMES!!! HalfSquid 0 447 Nov 25, 2013 08:15 AM
Last Post: HalfSquid
  28 Affordable Royalty Tracks Available titanicpiano14 3 1,306 Oct 28, 2013 11:32 AM
Last Post: titanicpiano14
  [Satsuma Audio] Professional, affordable sound and music. SatsumaAudio 0 2,325 Nov 26, 2012 07:19 AM
Last Post: SatsumaAudio
  Affordable original music for your game LuckyLionStudios 11 14,612 Apr 15, 2012 05:34 PM
Last Post: LuckyLionStudios