iDevGames Forums
SpriteKit - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Tools & Technology (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: SpriteKit (/thread-10656.html)

SpriteKit - SethWillits - Jul 7, 2013 09:14 PM

Since nobody has brought it up yet…

Anybody going to dive in and make a game with it?

RE: SpriteKit - AnotherJake - Jul 11, 2013 07:15 AM

I glanced at it a few weeks ago. It seems pretty nice but it doesn't offer me anything I don't/can't already do myself. If it works as advertised it will save new game developers tons of time.

RE: SpriteKit - Cassyblanca - Jul 11, 2013 08:28 AM

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Jake. It's one of those things where it'll be a great learning tool for new developers, but will probably not be much use to people already experienced in graphics programming - especially when you consider those of us who work on cross-platform projects.

Still, from what I've read about it (I've meant to poke around with it since I installed the Mavericks DP, but haven't actually gotten around to it), it looks like it's a fairly interesting tool, though - and may do a lot to help out with introducing iOS game programming.

RE: SpriteKit - SethWillits - Jul 11, 2013 08:57 AM

I'm thinking that by it coming directly from Apple, it's as good as using OpenGL in terms of longevity. (Actually, longer given that GL keeps changing Wink) I would like to spend some time later this year making a bunch of quick guides on how to use it.

I'm sure when it's released it'll be used by a relatively small but sizable number of developers (more so on iOS, naturally), so it makes sense to have a chunk of tutorials on it.

RE: SpriteKit - Cassyblanca - Jul 11, 2013 09:08 AM

It is a good opportunity to write up some tutorials - there are plenty of new developers who would love to have that available. And I do have to say, the fact that it is coming from Apple directly is nice - any support they start showing for game developers on OS X itself is always appreciated. Wink

RE: SpriteKit - MattDiamond - Jul 16, 2013 02:19 PM

(Jul 11, 2013 08:57 AM)SethWillits Wrote:  I'm thinking that by it coming directly from Apple, it's as good as using OpenGL in terms of longevity.

*cough*GameSprockets*cough*

:-)

RE: SpriteKit - SethWillits - Jul 16, 2013 04:25 PM

LOL Touché!

RE: SpriteKit - AndyKorth - Jul 23, 2013 02:40 PM

*cough*JavaApplicationStub*cough* I guess it lived for a while.