iDevGames Forums
How is everyone? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: How is everyone? (/thread-12072.html)

How is everyone? - Carlos Camacho - Mar 24, 2017 11:16 AM

Hello iDGers, how is everyone? Glad to see my baby still online. I imagine that the bulk of the people are now doing iOS development. I was thinking the other day about iDevGames when I saw a project to write a book about classic Mac gaming. I asked the author if he would talk about iDevGames. Rasp

As for me... I've been back from Japan in the states since 2008. Seems like a lifetime ago when I started iDevGames in Japan. I moved from CT to MA for a new job last year.

Recently, I ran into a real catch-22 with my Mac. After moving, it was in storage along with all my other computer gear. I dragged it out of the storage unit to grab some data and notice I needed to update the OS. So Apple Store asked for my password. Couldn't recall the password. So it went to two step-verification. Got the 4 digit code. But next it needed a key. Didn't recall what the key was either. So it gave me an option to get the key by logging in. ???? Anyways, something like that. So I had to guess at both and eventually it locked my account. I called Apple a few times and said their security page now automatically forwards me to a page that says I need to either use my password or make a new account.

It wouldn't be a big deal to make a new account except, I would want to remove my credit card from the old account plus, all my software registrations are tied to the old account. So basically, I lose the investment in all the software I purchased. Moral of story is DO NOT turn on Apple's two-step verification or you stand the chance of losing access to all your apps.

The entire situation has very much soured me on Apple and so I will most likely reformat my hard drive and test out some Linux distros.

Feels to me that Apple just doesn't care about Macs anymore. Anyone else fall into the catch-22?

As for development... recently I yearned for my old computer, a TRS-80 Color Computer. So I picked one up ... and then another 8bit... and another 8bit.... I have a nice collection of 80s computers now. LOL Once I find a house in MA, I want to setup a nice computer room with all these machines and tinker around with building some homebrew 8bit computers. Also planning to learn 6809 Assembly and some C-like languages as well as PASCAL to relive my glory days of programming.

Hope everyone is well!

RE: How is everyone? - Zwilnik - Apr 7, 2017 08:27 AM

Still hanging in there. Just noticed the iDev link in my bookmarks and realised I'd not clicked it in a while Smile

Strange Flavour's just hit its 13th birthday and we're working on our 30th game since we started Smile

RE: How is everyone? - Carlos Camacho - Apr 7, 2017 08:13 PM

Very cool!!!!

RE: How is everyone? - Skorche - Apr 8, 2017 01:22 PM

Hey! Been a long time! Andy and I still do Howling Moon Software. Currently I'm contracting on a PS4/Xbone game while Andy is working on Verdant Skies.

I too feel conflicted about Macs lately, but for different reasons maybe. Apple only puts non-integrated GPUs in their top of the line machines now, and they don't put top of the line GPUs in them. :-\ On top of that, you have OpenGL that is 5 years out of date and no whisper of Vulkan support. Metal is fine, but I'm not going to bother supporting it on OS X any more than I am going to bother with DirectX on Windows. While I'm not in the market for an upgrade, I'm also pretty uninterested in any of the current models. On the other hand, I don't mind Linux, it's just not as good of an experience as OS X. My experience so far with Windows 10 on the contract project has been almost universally bad, so I can't really see myself taking that route...

RE: How is everyone? - SethWillits - Jun 21, 2017 06:15 PM

As you can tell, not much happening on the forums. Activity went waaaay down years ago, and there are a bunch of other sites now that offer help & tutorials and things so there's been no apparent interest in getting this one going again. Most old timers have gone off into the woods and died or moved on, with no young to replace them with blind enthusiasm. Pity!

Sorry to hear about your catch 22. Though in my mind the moral of the story is don't forget important passwords Wink

RE: How is everyone? - OneSadCookie - Jun 21, 2017 07:18 PM

Skorche Wrote:On top of that, you have OpenGL that is 5 years out of date and no whisper of Vulkan support. Metal is fine, but I'm not going to bother supporting it on OS X any more than I am going to bother with DirectX on Windows.

It's just not the case any longer that there's a cross-platform graphics API. Nor, I feel, should there be. OpenGL had so many compromises in its quest to be all things to all people, and every other cross-platform technology has been equally bad (Java, Flash, OpenAL, Qt, ...). And whatever your personal feelings, it's implausible that there will ever be an OpenGL update for macOS or iOS, or a first-party Vulkan implementation for them. Apple has nothing to gain from that, and everything to lose (again).

I think it's better (and more realistic!) to think of OpenGL as a horrible blip in the history of APIs, where briefly a few platforms shared a compromise, rather than thinking that the new state of the world is a terrible error to be reverted immediately. Any broadly supported renderer already had to have multiple back-ends. Metal isn't making that worse, but it is making a lot of other things (performance, feature availability, complexity, ease of porting between macOS and iOS) much better.

RE: How is everyone? - Carlos Camacho - Jun 21, 2017 07:31 PM

I would assume all the younger developers are keen on iOS and less so on desktop development? Good though to see so many folks made it into the world of full time game dev. (Or is it a curse... unless one works for themselves?)

Cheers to all.

RE: How is everyone? - SethWillits - Jun 21, 2017 07:57 PM

Quote:I think it's better (and more realistic!) to think of OpenGL as a horrible blip in the history of APIs

One might look at it as a fleeting moment of hope. Wink

Quote:I would assume all the younger developers are keen on iOS and less so on desktop development?

Yep. And hard to do a contest for that, even.

Quote:Good though to see so many folks made it into the world of full time game dev.

Indeed. Your legacy is secure. You started something which many of us benefited from, whether the site itself carries on or not. Thanks!

RE: How is everyone? - EvolPenguin - Jun 22, 2017 05:53 AM

As someone who has (unfortunately) moved on to App development instead of game development, iOS is the place to be. All dreams die eventually right? Or is that super depressing Smile

Re: that book (Secret history of Mac gaming). I think a lot of people on IRC have ordered it From what I can recall, iDev’s heyday was in early to mid 2000s, and I think the book seems like it may be focused slightly earlier, but hopefully I’m wrong! I’m looking forward to whenever it gets finished Smile. iDev will always be a not-so-Secret part of my gaming history anyway.

Alex

RE: How is everyone? - GryphonClaw - Jun 22, 2017 07:38 AM

Hey Carlos! Glad to see you're still around Smile I agree with Seth, don't forget important passwords Wink anyway, I've been working on games, I had an app in the App Store until my dev account got suspended due to non-payment (thought i had paid it before...) anyway, i've been working on a game for iOS and a Mac Editor for said game (read the blog i've been writing as I progress through the development Development Blog, I haven't posted in about a month but I'm still going to keep it active!)

Also I'm working on another game with another iDGer (cross platform using Unity) and loving the dev Smile

Anyway, nice to see you're still around and kicking.

RE: How is everyone? - MattDiamond - Jul 3, 2017 08:29 PM

Hi Carlos! I almost missed seeing this thread. Great to hear from you!

Still plugging away at this strange hobby. My old game Pawns (won 2nd place in the OMG contest in 2005) has been ported to every version of Unity since. It was on the iOS store for a couple years, then I took it down, but I'm currently freshening it with new content to re-release later this year (hopefully). Then maybe I'll start something new.

Incidentally the iDG forums were overrun by spam so we had to turn off new account registrations. Noone visits regularly enough to keep up with them. (Although perhaps some of the spambots will have lost interest? I deactivated an email account of mine for 6 months and it did lower the amount of spam, at least for now.)

> iDev’s heyday was in early to mid 2000s, and I think the book
> seems like it may be focused slightly earlier,

True. There was a thread in these forums about the book, and a longer one on the InsideMacGames forums. The author chimed in over there a few times. He is aware of iDG but has said it probably doesn't fit into the scope of the book. Still, I'm looking forward to it.