iDevGames Forums
ToME roguelike game. - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: ToME roguelike game. (/thread-2579.html)

ToME roguelike game. - Najdorf - Jun 12, 2008 08:31 AM

I wanted to advertise a bit this game that is IMO the coolest roguelike out there and one of the few in fairly active developement.

It's based on Zangband (which is based on Angband) which was already great but improves on it and is much faster-more stable.

It's one of the few games where you can get as powerful as to control something like 100 massively powerful dragons and have them fight with an army of demons, spectacular stuff.

Works great in 10.4, should work fine also in 10.5 i hope.

It will take you a while to get used to it (it's all keyboard based, no point and click, a lot of commands) and it's very hard for starters but I'd say it's my favorite game ever bar none.

http://www.t-o-m-e.net

ToME roguelike game. - stevejohnson - Jun 12, 2008 08:43 AM

Should I get the stable or the alpha?

ToME roguelike game. - Najdorf - Jun 12, 2008 02:28 PM

Hm I played the stable (I like games that don't crash Rasp)

ToME roguelike game. - AnotherJake - Jun 12, 2008 03:51 PM

Wow, man, that's old-skool! Seems pretty cool though.

ToME roguelike game. - Najdorf - Jun 12, 2008 05:38 PM

Yeah well you have to get into the whole "I'm a @ and that green D is a Great Swamp Wyrm" thing but it's very functional 'cause you recognize stuff fast once you're used to it.

I recently managed to completely beat the game and it's possibly the greatest gaming achievement I had, 'cause the game is very long, it's extremely easy to die if you're not careful (and even if you are) and once you die you can't backup your save file, you have to start again (of course you can but it's considered cheating).

An essential part of the game is discovering which race-class-strategies are strong enough to get you going, because most will get you killed in no time.

ToME roguelike game. - AnotherJake - Jun 12, 2008 06:32 PM

Najdorf Wrote:An essential part of the game is discovering which race-class-strategies are strong enough to get you going, because most will get you killed in no time.

Hehe... Sounds like Oblivion.

ToME roguelike game. - Muskrat - Jun 12, 2008 07:27 PM

Cool, I'll try this out. I'm a big fan of nethack, but I don't have the memory or patience to get anywhere near beating it. For new fans of the genre or anyone who wants something a little easier, I would recommend POWDER, which has a lot of the mechanics of more traditional roguelikes, but without as much subtle intricacy and near impossible difficulty. Not that I've managed to beat it either, it's just a lot easier to get into.

ToME roguelike game. - Najdorf - Jun 13, 2008 05:07 AM

Wow, I see there's also the DS version, thanks for the link!