iDevGames Forums
Text based RPG in Python - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Programming Languages & Scripting (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Text based RPG in Python (/thread-2885.html)

Text based RPG in Python - pipposanta - Dec 18, 2007 08:33 AM

Hi,
I'm new in this forum.
I would like to make a text based RPG wih Python because is the only language that I can say I know a bit well.
Where I can find tutorials, resources and various things to make me beginning this game?
Can you suggest me some way to proceed because is the first serious game that I would to make.

A last thing... On Leopard the PyGame module doesn't work so I can't use them... Sad

Text based RPG in Python - pipposanta - Feb 23, 2008 10:07 AM

up for me!!

Text based RPG in Python - stevejohnson - Feb 23, 2008 11:08 AM

First of all, use Pyglet if you're on 10.5. Works like a dream. I'm working on a game in it right now. But if you're doing a text adventure, you may want to look at the Tkinter library so you don't have to code your own GUI stuff.

For tutorials, doc.python.org is a great language tutorial. I don't know if there are any around about text adventure design.

Edit: I meant Pyglet, not PyGame.

Text based RPG in Python - Musenik - Feb 23, 2008 11:14 AM

Look again at the PyGame site! They've been posting updates. I'm not sure if Leopard support is available. I run PyGame under Tiger and I build applications Panther and they run on Leopard.

Text based RPG in Python - stevejohnson - Feb 23, 2008 01:08 PM

I can't make PyGame work in Leopard, Musenik. I tried yesterday.

Text based RPG in Python - Musenik - Feb 23, 2008 10:02 PM

I'm not sure what magic I'm using, but all of the games on my website are pygame and they all run on Leopard.

They weren't built in Leopard. They were built on an old pygame and py2app for Panther. The SDL libraries are updated, however.

You might want to hit up the pygame mail list.

Text based RPG in Python - stevejohnson - Feb 24, 2008 12:03 AM

I meant pyglet in my first post in this thread. Sorry for the mistake. Pyglet works great for gaming.

Text based RPG in Python - pipposanta - Feb 27, 2008 09:10 AM

I have installed pyglet, but it doesn't work. I have leopard and when i try to compile these two lines of code:

Quote:from pyglet import window
win = window.Window()

it fail to compile with this error:

Quote:Traceback (most recent call last):
from pyglet import window
ImportError: cannot import name window

What can I do?