iDevGames Forums
Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Tools & Technology (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X (/thread-4843.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 1, 2005 11:19 AM

Why isn't anyone interested in porting the Macintosh version of Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X? We already have Doom, Marathon and Duke Nukem.

Why not Wolfenstein?

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - Leisure Suit Lurie - Nov 1, 2005 01:18 PM

You can always try running it through DOSBox.

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - Carlos Camacho - Nov 1, 2005 05:21 PM

>Why isn't anyone interested in porting the Macintosh version of Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X
Daniel's idea is good. I'll take a wack at why no one is interested in porting the game..

1) If I recall, there is a great deal of ASM, whereas recent id code that was released is in C (or variant)

2) The 3d engine (which is really 2d) is pretty primitive for today. Considering that devs can use dim3, Unity or OpenGL to make their own FPS, I can't see a reason to revisit the game. Perhaps you should grab such dev tools and make an all new game that is set in the WW2 era?

Cheers,

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - Leisure Suit Lurie - Nov 1, 2005 05:39 PM

I *think* Bill Heinman released the mac source code to Wolfenstein. Not 100% on that. Its probably 68k assembly though.

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 2, 2005 08:29 AM

Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:I *think* Bill Heinman released the mac source code to Wolfenstein. Not 100% on that. Its probably 68k assembly though.

Yes, and I have a copy of the code.

It's really all C, except for a 16 KB PPC assembly document.

Just to confirm what I said, I remember that Axel Wefers (Fruitz of Dojo) once told me that porting that specific version of Wolfenstein to Mac OS X would be a half-a-day long work for a good coder.

If you want, I can put the source online somewhere, since it isn't available anymore from Contrabandent's Hotline server. Smile

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - Malarkey - Nov 5, 2005 10:13 AM

We're all in the middle of a 6-week programming contest plus the holidays (for the US residents, at least) are coming up so it's probably more likely that no one has the time right now.

If you want, post it, and I'll take a look at it but don't expect anything for a while. Ninja

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 7, 2005 09:32 AM

Quote:History of Wolfenstein 3D: First & Second Encounter
Programming and Project Lead: Bill Heineman
Additional programming: Chris DeSalvo
Producer: Bill Dugan

Wolfenstein 3D for MacOS was released on October 1st, 1994 by Interplay Productions under license from id software. The code was based not on the PC version but of a Super NES version that was done at id software. This version of the game differs greatly from the PC version since it used BSP trees to help determine which walls were to be drawn instead of the ray-casting method.

The fixed point number system was 8.8 format so that it could fit in a 65816 register for the SNES and Apple IIgs version of Wolf 3D. (8 bits of integer and 8 bits of fraction)

The mac version also has two modes of drawing. In the 68000 version, 68000 code is generated at runtime to draw the vertical lines very quickly. The source file SetupScalers68k.c creates the 68000 code and then issues calls to it via a little 68000 assembly glue code. This is how the game got its speed. The powerpc version originally had this method as well but the performance sucked. So it was changed to a simple assembly loop and the game ran fine. This is why there is SetupScalersPPC.c and SetupScalers68k.c.

I took the code from Codewarrion DR/4 which was the development system at the time and updated the project to Codewarrior PRO 5 (Which is what I use today). I've compiled, tested and ran the game and the code runs fine. The sound code is copyright Steve Hales and Jim Nitchals. You cannot use the music driver in your own programs unless you get a license from Steve Hales. (Jim Nitchals sadly has passed on, may he rest in peace).

Yes, there is a level editor that I wrote. It sucks. I suggest you get WolfEdit that is available on the web from WolfAddict software instead. It doesn't suck.

Here it is 1/21/2000. Over 5 years since I did the mac version of Wolf 3D. Seems like yesterday. I hope you enjoy looking over this code and making little changes for your own pleasure and learning. If someone makes any improvements to this code like adding Sprocket support or GL support, please send me the new source. I can be found at burger@logicware.com

I want to thank those who helped make this project a reality. John Carmack, Jay Wilbur, John Romero, Brian Luzietti and my wife Lorenza.

Bill Heineman
Logicware Inc.
20628 E. Arrow Hwy. #6
burger@logicware.com

http://rapidshare.de/files/7312368/Wolf3dSource.sit.html

As I said before, only a 12 KB .ppc file actually contains assembly code. Shouldn't be a hard work for a talented programmer.

Have a nice day,
sixtyfive

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - unknown - Nov 14, 2005 06:04 AM

This is the origional wolf3d, I want this on x Grin

Do you have xcode?
If not install it you will need it later,
this is all the files added to a project and it gets two errors (and a lot more if you comment out those lines)
the error is deferencing pointer to incomplete type
PalHand = (Handle) (**(*GameGWorld).portPixMap).pmTable;

update:
PalHand = (Handle)(**GetPortPixMap(GameGWorld)).pmTable;
seems to fix it
another update: fixed one file, out of I dont know how many will cause problems but basically the problems are things like
UpdateDialog(theDialog, theDialog->visRgn);
needs to be changed to

RgnHandle theDialog_visRgn;
GetPortVisibleRegion(theDialog, &theDialog_visRgn);
UpdateDialog(theDialog, theDialog_visRgn);

because of this being carbon and not mac os

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 14, 2005 07:00 AM

My problem is, I'm not really used to working on other people's code. Also, my knowledge of C isn't that good, and is even worse when applied to the Macintosh environment.

By the way, I was formely known on these forums as SixtySoftWorks.Rolleyes

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - unknown - Nov 14, 2005 07:05 AM

get xcode and try and compile this.

Im just uploading what ive done so far version,
search for EDEDED to see the changes,

theres some errors there just now I dont understand yet, if someone with some experience with Quickdraw could take a look would be very useful,
http://www.geocities.com/ed72678954/Wolf3D.zip

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 14, 2005 07:12 AM

Just installed Xcode, now looking. Thanks for your prompt replies, mine will follow soon.

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 14, 2005 07:16 AM

I'm actually getting erros on PrefsFile.c. It actually refers to Mac OS Classic directory structures (Macintosh HD:System Folder:Preferences), so that should be changed.

Also, I think file I/O routines changed with the newer systems. Wink

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - unknown - Nov 14, 2005 07:20 AM

Thats odd, it must be compiling in a order for you, I get errors in Mac.c, but im sure ill get errors in PrefsFile.c later Wink
Much of the code will still work, but yeah filesystem things can cause problems, that was the problem getting music in the candy crisis game.
Its just a matter of updating the some parts of the code for the altered carbon API, so hopefully it shouldnt be too much trouble. I am stuck with the setPort thing just now..

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 14, 2005 07:22 AM

You are doing a good job I think. Any chances to continue this talk on AIM or MSN?

Porting Wolfenstein 3D to Mac OS X - sixtyfive - Nov 14, 2005 09:59 AM

We are stuck on the ASM code for the rendering engine. Could someone join us? Smile