iDevGames Forums
What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Designer's Studio (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? (/thread-6272.html)

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - Mars_999 - Sep 1, 2004 05:03 PM

Does anyone know if there is any .dds plugins for Photoshop or a program that will load .dds files to look at and convert to .tga file format?

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - arekkusu - Sep 1, 2004 05:29 PM

The nvidia Photoshop plugin is PC-only. But if you need code, I ported a DXTC code sample a while ago to be able to view DDS textures. You could easily add code to export with NSImage. Or just screencapture and open in Photoshop.

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - arekkusu - Sep 1, 2004 05:31 PM

Of course, it's perfectly valid to pass DXTC textures directly to OpenGL on the Mac, using compressed textures. That's sort of the whole point Wink

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - Mars_999 - Sep 1, 2004 05:42 PM

arekkusu Wrote:Of course, it's perfectly valid to pass DXTC textures directly to OpenGL on the Mac, using compressed textures. That's sort of the whole point Wink
I know that OpenGL on Mac can finally do DXTC compressed textures, but my point is I would rather download a utility that displays them so I can look at them! So I really don't want to code up a utility to load them but if I have to I have to...

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - arekkusu - Sep 1, 2004 05:45 PM

Ah. I looked around for a Mac utility and/or sample code a year or two ago and couldn't find any. Versiontracker today gives me zero hits for dds, dxtc, s3tc, so I think you'll probably have to write it. Let me know if you'd like code to start with.

(off topic, might not be a bad idea to add dds format to my comicbook viewer... Wink

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - Mars_999 - Sep 1, 2004 05:48 PM

arekkusu Wrote:Ah. I looked around for a Mac utility and/or sample code a year or two ago and couldn't find any. Versiontracker today gives me zero hits for dds, dxtc, s3tc, so I think you'll probably have to write it. Let me know if you'd like code to start with.

(off topic, might not be a bad idea to add dds format to my comicbook viewer... Wink

Cool I might start it soon, I will let you know. Later

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - OneSadCookie - Sep 1, 2004 06:22 PM

I wrote a DDS viewer at some point. I may be able to dig it up again if there's interest...

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - Mars_999 - Sep 1, 2004 07:55 PM

OneSadCookie Wrote:I wrote a DDS viewer at some point. I may be able to dig it up again if there's interest...

I thought you dumped Mac and moved onto Linux? Thats another story. Is this just code or is it a full blown Cocoa app that one can use?

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - OneSadCookie - Sep 1, 2004 08:05 PM

It's a GLUT-based image viewer that takes the file name as a commandline parameter, IIRC.

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - arekkusu - Sep 2, 2004 01:01 AM

I just hacked rudimentary DDS support (no cube or volume textures) into my viewer. Implementation note: although compressed formats are valid for the GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT target, uploading is very slow (lots of time in glgProcessColor, I guess it has to uncompress to unswizzled RGBA.) So use GL_TEXTURE_2D with compressed textures...

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - OneSadCookie - Sep 2, 2004 01:09 PM

http://onesadcookie.is-a-geek.net/~keith/libDDS.zip

nothing special.

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - Mars_999 - Sep 2, 2004 01:25 PM

OneSadCookie Wrote:http://onesadcookie.is-a-geek.net/~keith/libDDS.zip

nothing special.

Not sure if you forgot to include this file but its missing? binio.h???

What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files? - OneSadCookie - Sep 2, 2004 02:07 PM

bah.

http://onesadcookie.is-a-geek.net/svn/repos/libBinaryIO