iDevGames Forums
Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express (/thread-8385.html)

Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - stevejohnson - Dec 4, 2010 05:34 PM

My school has a course which pairs CS students with students from a nearby art school to make a game in 3 months. (Do not use this course as an excuse to get a CS degree here.) My team made the first 5% of an adventure game called Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express (link goes to Mac build, Windows soon to follow).

Since adventure games take an absurdly long time to make (by my standards), it is very short, probably 45 minutes of gameplay if you do absolutely everything. But it is the most polished thing I have ever had a hand in making and will serve as a nice portfolio piece for the team (6 artists, 4 programmers).

If anyone here has an interest in writing and designing an adventure game (a task at least as difficult and time-consuming as programming one), email me because I think the engine we produced has real potential. It just needs a little more love on the scripting API and tool set.

If you play it through, let me know if anything just doesn't make sense. There are definitely bugs.

Saving/loading is disabled for now because the game is short, saving/loading is not well-tested, and there is no interface for it. Also, there is no fullscreen mode, though I may re-enable that soon.

I may write a postmortem. Space Train's development was a very interesting experience for someone whose prior experiene is with making mostly shooters in teams of two or fewer.

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - AnotherJake - Dec 4, 2010 08:31 PM

Seems like a pretty interesting little adventure game. It took me a bit to figure out that I needed to click on the dialog bubbles to get the dialog to advance.

My gosh, it's nearly a 100 MB download! Looking in the package contents, there are a lot of ridiculously large graphics files. stpurseopen1.psd alone is 8.5 MB! I realize this is a dev version, but is it really necessary to have the actual asset production files included in the download? Wink

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - stevejohnson - Dec 4, 2010 09:08 PM

Heh, yeah, I didn't check the packaging very carefully, and the artists never seemed to understand file placement. I should be able to trim that down quite a bit.

As for the dialogue not advancing, that's a bug. It should advance on a timer. Works for me?

I have noticed that the timers are odd for some people, but I haven't been able to figure out why, since it's a well-tested feature of the library we use.

Edit: I shaved off 20 MB from unused assets, and I can get probably another 20 MB by compressing the music to a lower bitrate (currently uses up 50 MB). Not uploaded yet, check back tomorrow.

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - EvolPenguin - Dec 4, 2010 09:21 PM

I did notice the timer is a bit long for me (and seems to change randomly, though that is unconfirmed). There's also a bug with Peanut (or whatever the gerbil thing's name is), where I can generate a couple of him and such, and I can know that the boy likes bean soup before actually talking to him Rasp. I only played for a few minutes as I should get back to one of my many final projects, but figured I'd test it out. Does seem really cool, hope to get past the first part at some point Rasp. Are you going to continue working on it at all?
Alex
Edit: Also, stevejohnson now, not Diordna? Whaaaat?

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - AnotherJake - Dec 4, 2010 11:56 PM

(Dec 4, 2010 09:21 PM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  I did notice the timer is a bit long for me (and seems to change randomly, though that is unconfirmed).

>> As for the dialogue not advancing, that's a bug. It should advance on a timer.

If it's on a timer, then it's definitely flakey for me. Sometimes the dialog seems to stall, and other times it moves forward as I expect, although perhaps I am imagining the inconsistency. If I click on it though, it definitely advances. Is the timer set differently, to suit each dialog bubble? I assume so, but I figured it's worth asking.

(Dec 4, 2010 09:21 PM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  Edit: Also, stevejohnson now, not Diordna? Whaaaat?

Maybe Dr. Soong finally gave him emotions so he doesn't consider himself to be an androiD anymore?

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - SethWillits - Dec 5, 2010 12:17 AM

I can't even figure out how to get past "All Aboard!"

No key or mouse click anywhere does anything. Except Escape which quits.

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - SethWillits - Dec 5, 2010 12:30 AM

45 minutes, eh? Well I managed to get to the credits in 10. Rasp

(100th click on All Aboard! worked. Apparently it had to be in the very center of the text.)

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - EvolPenguin - Dec 5, 2010 02:10 AM

(Dec 4, 2010 11:56 PM)AnotherJake Wrote:  Maybe Dr. Soong finally gave him emotions so he doesn't consider himself to be an androiD anymore?

Almost 7 years of knowing Steve, and I never noticed it was Android backwards... I even asked him at WWDC how to pronounce it. Mind sufficiently blown.
Alex

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - stevejohnson - Dec 5, 2010 11:36 AM

I have shaved about 40 MB off the binary and I have some idea of where these bugs are coming from. The build I uploaded was the "yay it doesn't crash!" version that was prepared for our Big Demo.

If you could tell me what specific parts hang without clicks, that would be great.

As for trouble clicking the title screen button, that's probably because the oh-so-clever engine only sends click events when the alpha of some item under the mouse isn't zero, but it doesn't pay attention to dynamic scale. And it can just be wrong. So I'll work on that.

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - stevejohnson - Dec 8, 2010 07:22 PM

I think I have fixed most of the issues. Same download link, but down to 55 MB.

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - stevejohnson - Dec 10, 2010 02:42 PM

Fixed the Shamus conversation and hamster ball bugs. Calling it quits on this game and forking the engine now Smile

RE: Space Train: Terror on the Mustachio Express - stevejohnson - Dec 13, 2010 04:11 PM

Postmortem is up: http://stevejohnson.posterous.com/space-train-terror-on-the-mustachio-express