TimeGoat - Printable Version
+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Contests (/forum-19.html)
+---- Forum: uDevGames 2011 (/forum-22.html)
+---- Thread: TimeGoat (/thread-9333.html)
Pages: 1 2
TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 13, 2011 10:51 PM
A 2D space shooter built with Unity about a goat that travels through time and space in the name of love.
Latest build easily playable at: http://priyesh.org/timegoat
(Hurray for Unity! )
Synopsis: A not-so-evil scientist builds a time machine out of rage when the love of his life rejects him so he can go back and destroy the love letter he sent before she reads it. He send his pet goat on the dangerous mission instead of going himself. Can the goat reach the letter in time and save the scientist from humiliation?
The plan is to have the following progression:
1. Procedurally generated space stage that gets harder and harder until you reach your destination
2. A finite defined level where the player navigates to the end of the stage (still 2d space shooter but with obstacles)
3. Grand finale one on one battle with the end boss (still in 2D but no scrolling)
My team: Digital Tragedy (consisting of myself, my brother Kunal and my mentor and friend Dr. Youngblood)
I know we don't have a lot of time left but we are hopeful that we can get it in a good state by the end of the month Any and all feedback is much appreciated as well as any links to Unity tips since I'm a Unity noob.
RE: TimeGoat - EvolPenguin - Sep 14, 2011 09:36 AM
Welcome and good luck! Starting now is better than not starting at all. Also amusing game story!
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 14, 2011 10:39 AM
Thanks! We actually started on time but several things have distracted us all from working on it as much as we wanted to. So now we're scrambling at the last minute
Tonight I'm hoping to implement time progression in the space level. The further into the level you are the tougher the generated enemies will be. I'll need to work on having the right number of enemies on screen so its not boring but also not impossible.
RE: TimeGoat - WillMiller - Sep 14, 2011 11:04 AM
Welcome to uDev 2011! Here's some feedback:
* Story is funny
* Graphics fit the story, but could use a little polish.
* I had a hard time distinguishing between what I was supposed to shoot and what were just background objects. Try to make the things that can hurt you visually pop.
* I wanted to be able to move horizontally as well as vertically (a la RType)
* The goat noise when shooting was cute for about 10 seconds, then started to get annoying. Maybe use it only for large attacks, or have several variations that you choose from to break up the monotony a little bit.
* FLYING COUCHES!!
I couldn't get the story mode to work. Are there any character progression mechanics planned? I want to upgrade my goat!
Nice work so far.
RE: TimeGoat - GoodDoug - Sep 15, 2011 11:27 AM
"I want to upgrade my goat!"
That quote wins.
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 15, 2011 11:53 AM
LOL @ upgrading your goat Maybe in the post-uDG version of the game we can add something like that.
I appreciate all the feedback! I'll try to respond to as much as I can.
* Glad everyone likes the story we are proud of that
* Graphics are definitely being polished all the time
* Good point about the background objects being confusing, I'm still working on getting the lighting just right. Dulling the colors of the background objects might help with this
* I can see how the goat noise gets annoying, I'll add some variance and make it so it only plays it 50% of the time. I also need to add a sound for the laser itself which needs to play every time but be more subtle
* The flying couches were fun to add look for more random objects in the future
There is no difference currently between Story and Arcade mode. Eventually Arcade mode will be more of a survival mode where you play until you lose and rack up as many points as you can. This may be cut from the uDG version but not sure yet.
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 18, 2011 07:51 AM
New build is uploaded to http://priyesh.org/timegoat
- New goat graphics
- New enemies:
-- SniperWorm: Shoots lasers just like Goat
-- MeteorShark: Looks like a rock but don't shoot it!
-- PirateSpaceShip: Arrr! Shoots cannonballs (I know they are tiny and look dumb right not... but its functional )
- Level progression (not user visible): more enemies start appearing over time
I started working on powerups, I'll probably finish those on the plane today. A 16 hour flight to India is a good time for coding I will steal as much time as I can to work on this during my vacation. Once I functionally finish the space stage, I'll move on to Stage 2 (the urban stage). The final boss battle will be tricky in a side scrolling shooter, the problem is making it fun to fight just one enemy. Or maybe its supposed to be easy and I make that a joke
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 21, 2011 10:32 AM
Another new build is now up with tons of new features:
* Move horizontally AND vertically (follows mouse)
* Enemies can now drop powerups (way too frequent right now but I want to be able to test them)
** Green= Ghost Goat, invulnerable
** Red= Super Goat, much bigger laser
** White= Double Goat, spawns another goat for dual wielding
** Heart= 1 health regen
* Enemies have been fine tuned a bit to make them less impossible
* Story mode progression _should_ work. After a certain point, the space level should transition to the "urban" level which is just a hackified space level at the moment.
* Enemy fine tuning in space level
* Fix multiple powerups being picked up at the same time
* Urban level
* LOTS of art!
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 22, 2011 10:26 AM
* Some new art
* Hardcoded enemy waves, I got tired of trying to do it procedurally and this way I have more control.
* Double Goat powerup works like it should! (I hope)
* Super Goat has giant laser
* HUD now scales with the game
I need feedback on the enemy difficulty, each wave lasts about 30 seconds and there are 10 waves for a total of 5 minutes right now. Its hard to balance it so its not too hard and not too boring.
Thanks guys! I'm glad I posted this here, got some great feedback.
RE: TimeGoat - skyhawk - Sep 22, 2011 10:31 AM
Much better now than the previous build I played.
A suggestion: give us 1 second of invulnerability once we spawn after death, because fuck all, I died 3 times because it spawned me right into enemy fire with 0 chance of evading.
Could be just me, but the music is really loud.
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 29, 2011 02:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback, its getting close to the deadline but we're almost there
I need someone to test the mac build for me, I should have posted it a long time ago but better late than never:
I also uploaded a new web build:
* Cut scenes with scrolling text
* Semi-final enemy balancing for Space level
* Scrolling Urban level after the space level.. not done but exists
* General flow of the final "boss" level
I plan on recording voice over for the cut scenes, but I'll leave that for last and focus on other things first
RE: TimeGoat - skyhawk - Sep 29, 2011 03:21 PM
1) unable to skip story (especially after the first time)
2) after story, until first death, my laser was REALLY gimped and wouldn't kill anything
3) rocks are blending with each other (actually so do ships if you ever catch them overlapping)
4) I swear the boss doesn't show up until my final death <_<
5) when awoken, evil face rock is near 100% unavoidable
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Sep 29, 2011 10:24 PM
1) You should be able to skip with Space/Escape (press it once.. shows a prompt, press again to skip)
2) Oops, I feeex
3) I noticed that I'm trying to find a good solution to fix it
4) Which boss? the final enemy is the pirate ship
5) You can shoot it again to kill it.. perhaps I should slow it down a tad to give the players a chance to do so
I assume the mac version worked fine then? I guess I shouldn't worry since its Unity
RE: TimeGoat - phydeaux - Oct 1, 2011 11:46 AM
Worked on my 10.6.8 MacBook. I had some glitch where the first time I played the goat's shots did not penetrate anything and so nothing would die. My goat turned green from some powerup and I know not why!
RE: TimeGoat - madgamer7 - Oct 3, 2011 11:23 AM
Thanks for checking it out Version 1.0 is now up for download for the contest (http://www.udevgames.com/entries/202 ). There are some bugs I've noticed that I will try to fix tonight but for the most part I'm really proud of what we've accomplished.
All feedback is welcome!