Converting image files

Is there some method for converting the resource image files of a project into some type of modestly encrypted binary format so that the user is unable to access the actual image?
Quote this message in a reply
Is there a legal reason you need to do this, or is it for some other purpose?
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Is there a legal reason you need to do this, or is it for some other purpose?

Part of it is paranioa, and the other part is just my instinct to protect my hard work, either way it helps me sleep better at night and that's ultimately what counts. I'm not looking for anything that's air tight, and I doubt such a thing exists- what I would like to do is merely discourage any tampering with my image files, I would be happy with having an image kept as a binary file but am unsure how to accomplish this.
It's really not worth your effort to "protect" your hard work in your graphics since they're already protected by copyright. Copyright is incredibly strong. In fact, when you post that your game is copyright, you're really only protecting the story (if there is one), word usage, graphics and audio, since the gameplay itself cannot be copyright. In fact, you technically even have implied copyright, even if you don't specifically post that it's copyright.
AnotherJake Wrote:It's really not worth your effort to "protect" your hard work in your graphics since they're already protected by copyright. Copyright is incredibly strong. In fact, when you post that your game is copyright, you're really only protecting the story (if there is one), word usage, graphics and audio, since the gameplay itself cannot be copyright. In fact, you technically even have implied copyright, even if you don't specifically post that it's copyright.

Yeah I'm pretty much aware that I am protected under the law, and like I said, I'm really just looking to appease my own sense of paranoia, if there's no easy way to do it I'd be happy to throw this idea aside, but if there is some little program someone knows of, or some xcode build setting with which I could achieve this quite easily I'd still prefer to do it, however irrational it is(and I am willing to concede that is somewhat irrational).
Well as long as you know you are being irrational about it, the way I'd do it is simply mangle the files a little on disk. Maybe write an external program (maybe a tiny command line tool) that swaps the first twenty bytes with the second twenty bytes (or some other arbitrary operation). Then when you want to load you'll have to load the image into memory and re-swap them before handing off to your image loader.

You *could* go so far as to encrypt the images, but I think that is total overkill, unless you're *really* paranoid... But then I'd say you're wasting your time anyway because anyone who wants to rip off encrypted images can simply find the key in your binary and be on their merry way.