itunes: upload new app, but the icon in device has not the red "1"

if i upload to itunes an updated app (a new version), i expect that, in all device that has installed the app, the icon of the app has a red "1" over the icon, but is not so.
there is a particular process on itunes that make this?
or is automatic? if it is automatic, why my app not show that "1"?
thanks
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
It's certainly not under the control of the developer. It happens automatically, but you can also tell iTunes to check for updates, which should display the update immediately. (Though, it may take time to propagate the fact that there is an update.)
Just echoing Seth on this that app upgrade behavior/badges on the device are up to Apple and out of our hands as far as I have ever seen.

The only remedy I know of for this is to file a bug report.
I think sefiroths is talking about something else.

Some apps use the badge-style push notifications to tell you an update is available. It's not standard behaviour, it's up to you to implement it if you want. (I wouldn't bother; I find them a bit annoying anyway)
⌘-R in Chief
Ohhh. Yeah, I think you're right. Thumbs down on showing that. If every app I had did that, they'd all be at 7 or 8 by now. Please don't. Smile
nono, i was talking about the standard notification, not push notification.
i updgrade the app uploading new version, but the red "1" over the app icon does not appear...so i thought i forgot something...seem i'll report to apple!
thanks
Are you talking about a badge on the App Store app like this:
[Image: app-store.jpg]

Or are you talking about a badge on your app like this:
[Image: doodlejump.jpg]

If you are talking about the latter, you will have to have you app check if an update is available, and (if necessary) you will have to have your app update the badge like this:

Code:
[UIApplication sharedApplication].applicationIconBadgeNumber = 1;

Also, to echo maximile and SethWillits: please don't do this.

Also, there's what may be a relevant thread on Stack Overflow.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
yes i was talking about the badge on DoodleJump...but i think i will not do this as you suggest...
but the badge on the App Store instead could be a good solution?
is it automatic or i should set something in my app?
i ask because i have read that is automatic here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/51812...-in-iphone
but my app is not triggered in app store icon, or in the list of updates...
thanks
(Oct 8, 2012 05:42 AM)sefiroths Wrote:  but the badge on the App Store instead could be a good solution?
is it automatic or i should set something in my app?

It is automatic (to the best of my knowledge – I haven't yet released an app, or an update to an app, for iOS 6.)

(Oct 8, 2012 05:42 AM)sefiroths Wrote:  i ask because i have read that is automatic [...] but my app is not triggered in app store icon, or in the list of updates...

Are you sure that the update to your app has been approved by Apple? If it has, are you sure that the release date of the update to your app isn't set to be in the future? If it isn't, are you able to view your app (and the correct version number) in iTunes?

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
⌘-R in Chief
The badge on the App Store app and the number updates displayed on your Mac in iTunes etc is all automatic. iOS automatically tells you when there is an update for any app you have installed.

Do not worry over whether it showed up immediately or not when you released an update. You cannot control it at all; It is not a reflection of you doing something wrong. It will happen on its own or when the user launches and checks for updates explicitly.
(Oct 8, 2012 12:02 PM)sealfin Wrote:  Are you sure that the update to your app has been approved by Apple?
yes
(Oct 8, 2012 12:02 PM)sealfin Wrote:  If it has, are you sure that the release date of the update to your app isn't set to be in the future?
...i didn' remember what date i put there...
...but perhaps, i have put a release date, but i was late of one week, so i released a month after the date i had put...could be this the error?
(Oct 8, 2012 12:02 PM)sealfin Wrote:  If it isn't, are you able to view your app (and the correct version number) in iTunes?
yes, i downloaded my app and tested after download the new content as i can see new items in in-app purchase, and new character playable

thanks to all

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  link itunes with developer name sefiroths 6 14,794 Feb 13, 2014 07:01 PM
Last Post: YOSEFON
  changing mouse icon in cocoa Leroy 13 6,809 Sep 4, 2007 07:10 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ?? asobo 14 6,726 Jan 16, 2007 02:25 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson