uDevGames 2013

⌘-R in Chief
I'd like to get an early start on uDevGames this year rather than it being a mad dash the month before. Things to do:

1. Timeframe — I'd like it to start no sooner than June. Summer is a good time I think.
  2. Rules — Do they need to be changed? Perhaps try "expert industry judges" this year?
  3. Sponsors — Always a big challenge. The longer we have to do this the better.
  4. Website — What was missing that would be good to have? Dev blogs? And … ?
  5. News Blasting — I had a ridiculously difficult time getting news sites to post about uDG in '11.

The floor is open.
Quote this message in a reply
1. Seems good
2. Getting industry judges could be useful
3. Yeah, more time they have to respond etc the better
4. Dev blogs blog logblaw blog. Other than that I thought the site was pretty sweet last time!
5. I think people aren't as interested in mac game dev any more Annoyed, not sure how to make that any better. I think an iOS contest can be used to attract people to our mac contests as well, just a thought.
1. Agreed— Summer dodges the holidays, school for students, and holiday-related crunchtime for the industry!

2. I'd like to see the whole thing move to peer review plus perhaps some outside judges. Peer scoring worked great for the categories in '11, and judges could be handled by simply giving them a ballot as well.

3. Agreed. I'll gladly throw in gifted copies of the new Killforce (if I ever finish it.) Also, if you are interested in a trophy, I happen to have a BIG ASS SWORD just chillin in my apartment that I could look into engraving for the winner.

4. Devblogs!!

5. Not sure what to do about this one. Though it couldn't hurt if people knew they could win a BIG ASS SWORD.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
⌘-R in Chief
I think there might be some export restrictions. LOL
Blast it. I didn't think of that. Maybe I could list it as "decorative art"? If we're interested I'll totally look up more information. Because it's pretty badass and I liked the idea of a physical trophy from the OMG Cup. And we'd be the only contest in town that awards you a BIG ASS SWORD.

Justin Ficarrotta
..... I'm entering. *wants giant sword to mount on wall and defend his apartment* Grin Also we still have the contact list from 2011's uDev for Sponsors and see if we can find any more as well.

Alex
(Jan 3, 2013 05:52 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  And we'd be the only contest in town that awards you a BIG ASS SWORD.

*cough* Golden Demon Wink *cough*

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
(Jan 2, 2013 01:43 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  I'd like to get an early start on uDevGames this year rather than it being a mad dash the month before. Things to do:

1. Timeframe — I'd like it to start no sooner than June. Summer is a good time I think.
  2. Rules — Do they need to be changed? Perhaps try "expert industry judges" this year?
  3. Sponsors — Always a big challenge. The longer we have to do this the better.
  4. Website — What was missing that would be good to have? Dev blogs? And … ?
  5. News Blasting — I had a ridiculously difficult time getting news sites to post about uDG in '11.

The floor is open.

1. Heck yeah. Maybe I can actually enter this year.
2. IIRC, rules worked out pretty well for the previous two contests - maybe have some veteran iDG judges?
3. I might be interested in sponsoring in some form - is it legal to sponsor and enter, and where/who would I need to talk to about sponsoring?

So exciting. Grin

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
I want a sword!

1. Agreed on the summer time schedule.

2. Ahh, rules and voting. I think last time actually went pretty well. The idea of a panel of veteran judges is pretty interesting. Overall, I was really happy with the open feedback that I got. You usually get a handful of very thoughtful comments. So whatever we do, I think it's good to encourage that kind of feedback, both from the judges and the open populace.

3. I think we've always done great with the sponsors. The ratio of sponsors to contestants is always very good. Howling Moon Software can throw in a few gifts Wink

4. I personally found "blogging" by keeping up a idevgames forum thread was very valuable. That's something we can continue to encourage in the rules. It doesn't need to be in the form of a devlog, I like seeing comments along side what I post, so I feel a forum style of posting works well.

5. Well, if you want to know how not to do a news blast, ask me! I've proven myself to be pretty bad at them. Heh, sorry.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
⌘-R in Chief
If there is expert judging, what do we use this to replace?

In 2004 there was a mixture of voting. Public voted on Gameplay Graphics and Audio, peers voted on Originality and Story, judges voted on Polish, and Carlos chose the Best Overall game.

In 2011 the public voted on Best Overall, and peers voted on everything else.

In 2013 do we have judges vote on Best Overall and peers vote everything else? Do we also have a public "People's Choice" just for the sake of it? Or do we keep the public voting to determine Best Overall, and use judges for everything else? Or a mixture?

As for judges, how about a few industry people (I'm thinking like Glenda Adams and Ian Lynch Smith), and some good indie developers who won't be competing (perhaps we can get David Rosen, for instance). By getting judges involved again, I think we should be able to attract more attention, virally through them and via press.

On prizes: In 2011 I tried to get things that would be relevant rather than just any old junk. It sort of worked, but a number of things I was hoping for didn't pan out. AMD coming through was awesome. Naturally, I'd like to do the same kind of thing, getting a big list of relevant software/dev resources and hit the companies up for support.

Two other ideas I had for prizes are cash and games.

With the zillion iOS games for instance, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get devs to sponsor by putting up free copies of their games. Maybe this is something Feral, Asypr, Mac Game Store, GOG.com etc would also be helpful with.

For cash: In 2011 I waffled with the idea of an entry fee which would be used for bandwidth and/or prizes. (Bandwidth was low last time, so I'm not too worried about that.) I can put up a small but sizable amount of cash up for grabs, say $250, and we could accept donations through the site to increase the prize pool. If there's a big amount, it could be split across the top three overall.

Hmm. An idea just popped into my head: how do we get people to donate? What about a Humble Bundle approach? What if we could get developers to put up a collection of Mac and iOS games, have people pay what they want, and that goes towards the contest? The real question is which games. And actually… you can't do this with iOS games because of Apple. Grr.

The idea of a BIG ASS SWORD is also pretty cool. It certainly has the wow factor, though I do have reservations about a) shipping a weapon across state or international lines Wink b) potentially giving a minor a sword as a trophy. A physical trophy would be nice though.
(Jan 4, 2013 02:03 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  In 2013 do we...?

In 2004 placing in each of the categories awarded a game a certain number of points, the total of which went on to determine the Best Overall Game.

In 2008 I believe all categories were open to voting, but the public could only vote on Overall, Gameplay, Graphics and Audio while entrants could vote on all categories.

2011 moved gameplay, graphics and audio to be peer categories, otherwise, same as 2008.

The way I'd do it would be to move all categories to peer voting, and add an extra People's Choice award that is chosen by public vote. I'd also say instead of rating 1-10, the public just picks up to X games out of the bunch to cast their ballot for. X could depend on how many entries we get. In 2011 (16 entrants) X could be 3. In 2004 (31 entrants) should be higher, like 5. And whoever gets the most votes wins it.

Judges could be incorporated by also giving them voting privileges as if they were entrants. Optionally, their votes could be weighted 2x or 3x if we want their opinions to be prominent, and could include written feedback and criticism.

(Jan 4, 2013 02:03 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  As for judges...

Glenda and Ian are good ideas, and Rosen has a HUGE following. Rosen especially might be great to hit up for advice on spreading the word, since those guys have worked some serious magic with the Humble Bundle stuff. And modesty out the window for a sec, if I don't enter this year I'd love the opportunity to judge, so I can at least take part in the fun a little bit! Ninja

(Jan 4, 2013 02:03 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  On prizes...

Getting a huge cash prize together via a bundle would be brilliant. I would gladly throw in a ton of stuff! I always dug the pool of software/assets but cash is probably easier to ship to folks! And if a bundle is successful at raising good money to create a monster purse, we'll see a ton of entrants.

(Jan 4, 2013 02:03 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  BIG ASS SWORD...

For what it's worth, it's purely decorative and quite heavy. I couldn't use it to cut bread. I did about 15 seconds of really superficial searching and it seems it's easy enough to ship around inside of the states, so we could limit it to the US if need be!

Justin Ficarrotta
(Jan 3, 2013 12:37 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  Also, if you are interested in a trophy, I happen to have a BIG ASS SWORD just chillin in my apartment that I could look into engraving for the winner.

Engraved BIG ASS SWORD would be awesome. I've actually been planning to have physical trophies made for the next uDevGames and donate them as a sponsor, so in addition to the BIG ASS SWORD for the winner (if that ends up happening), I want to make sure the more traditional type of trophy is given out too (to all of the category winners, not just #1 overall).

As for rule changes, I remember a previous uDevGames getting a good bit of flak on tigsource for some of the rules. I dug up the quote:

Quote:mewse:
Quote from: increpare on 2008-12-17, 07:18:41

Jan 18, 2009: uDevGames (mac. 10$ entry)

Also requires the game to carry an open source license covering both the source code and the game data files, contain an advertisement for the udevgames contest, provide a post-mortem document, not been shown to the public in any form before December (including trailer videos, etc)... and web-based games are ineligible.

Oh, and if you win a prize, then you have to write a review of that prize for use on their website within the following six weeks.

So you pay them for the right to make an open source game advertising their website, and if you win, then you're obliged to write content for their website too.

Best. Contest. Ever. Grin

That was from 2008, and the 2011 contest might not have had the same problems. Something to watch for though. It'd be good to be able to get some goodwill toward the contest from tigsource, or at the very least not turn them off like that one did.
Since June is just a week away, any updates on this?

Overall, it sounds great Smile .

I always say I'll enter (and most of the time I do...) and then never finish my game. Seems to be a pattern >.>

But I think I'll try this time. Really try.
Quote:But I think I'll try this time. Really try.

The iDev rallying cry? Smile

Alex

Too hard to quote long stuff on my iPhone, but regarding Alex's point, it's pretty valid. Most people want to enter contests to win stuff, not necessarily to educate others w/ open source. The motivation seems different these days. Also the risk of open source as shown in the people stealing source and putting it on stores. Maybe we could do asset-less release?

Alex
I think it'd be fine to drop the OSS requirement. No one reads the source anyway. Just require that the games are free for a certain time period. Also, maybe replace the review *requirement* with a review *incentive*, like an extra prize.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chupamobile Competition 2013 for Mobile Dev EloDev 0 902 Dec 16, 2013 10:05 AM
Last Post: EloDev
  Game Development World Championship 2013 Viope 1 1,423 Dec 4, 2013 07:38 AM
Last Post: Viope
  Advent Programming Contest 2013 sealfin 0 748 Dec 1, 2013 07:48 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  Global Game Jam 2013 AndyKorth 5 3,418 Jan 24, 2013 11:55 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook