Kung Fu Killforce 2.0

Hey guys,

So part of my New Year's Resolution was to start talking more about the stuff I've been working on, so I wanted to share my latest here, for your perusal and feedback!

[Image: newtitle.png]

So earlier in 2012 I began porting Kung Fu Killforce to iOS, and as I was porting I kept making small changes here and there until the whole damn thing just became a full-on 2.0. Basically every last thing in the game is being reconsidered, renovated, revamped. It's still pre-alpha, so there's STILL a ways to go yet (Cry) but it's looking and playing pretty hot.

The changes planned for 2.0:
  • 3 levels, each one acting as a unique game mode
  • More special moves for each of the five kung fu styles
  • More enemy types and improved AI
  • Improved scoring and combo system
  • Revamped menu and HUD

Also featuring sweet pixel art! I'm working with artist Tony Redmer to create new levels and characters:

[Image: layers.png]

[Image: characters_6612.png]

[Image: KFK_runlarge.gif]

I'm also working with composer Tobias Jäckle of Gamephonic to create a new soundtrack. He's already posted the whole thing on his SoundCloud.

You can get more details at my blog here. I'll be posting less verbosely in this thread as well.

Let me know what you think, and if you enjoyed the original, what you would like to see in the 2.0. I'm also looking for more testers/players on iOS. Wink

Stay tuned for more, as I'll have some screenshots and some gameplay footage soon. I'm hoping to turn devlogs into a regular habit again— I've missed it so. Love

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Oooh. Very nice. I like the very angle-y look to all the graphics. Music is sounding really nice too. Looking forward to a video or something of the gameplay. Grin

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
⌘-R in Chief
Lookin' good. The temple scene is pretty spectacular. Looking forward to video…
Wow, good stuff! Grin
Thanks guys!

I've got a new (less self-promotiony) post up listing the things that have been done so far, and what's left. Words words words words

I also recorded a quick game tonight:

Justin Ficarrotta
Looking damn hot - can't wait!

And I love reading other developers game logs, hopefully one day I'll sort myself out and do the same.
⌘-R in Chief
I didn't know humans would explode so loudly!

Hmm. When you die, I think it'd be nice having a brief slow-motion moment and animation before the game over text appears. Maybe like being bent over backwards and rising slightly from the ground (while everything else is frozen or fades out), then BAM.
Apprentice
The video looks great!
Thanks again. I'm super excited about how it's coming along. I'm in the middle of moving right now so no news but I'll be starting on revamping the kung fu styles after the weekend.

(Jan 10, 2013 12:20 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  Hmm. When you die, I think it'd be nice having a brief slow-motion moment and animation before the game over text appears. Maybe like being bent over backwards and rising slightly from the ground (while everything else is frozen or fades out), then BAM.

Good call, I'll definitely add that in! It's real sudden right now, and almost always startling. It's the same way when Pai Mei is killed.

Justin Ficarrotta