Scaling iOS Game: iPhone -> iPad

Nibbie
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and look forward to being part of the community Smile

I hope as I get more xp & knowledge, I can then help out future noobs like myself now Fail

I have a question in regards to Scaling an iOS game, from iPhone -> iPad (or vice versa)

Q: What is the best method to have a 2D game scale well on both iPhone & iPad platforms?

* Should I create a game on the iPad first, then scale to iPhone?
* Or should i create an iPhone game then add borders etc to scale it to iPads.

Tips/Advice esp from a programmers &/OR graphic designers perspective would be deeply appreciated Grin
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Programmatically it'll make no difference whether you go from iPad to iPhone or vice versa. Graphically, though, you need to make sure that everything fits on an iPhone and isn't physically too small to where it's difficult to precisely touch the controls.

You also have two ways of scaling. You can scale the pixels so you're showing the same area of the game, just double/half the size, or you can keep it visually the same size but show double/half of what was visible before. You need to figure out what's appropriate for your game. Perhaps seeing more of the world makes the game too easy, perhaps it won't.

Whatever route you go, it's not a bad idea to try it on both devices when you make major decisions so that you don't find out it was a bad decision 4 months later when you try to make the entire version at once for the other device.
Nibbie
Thanks for the advice Seth Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question about tmx files (tilemaps) and resolution for Iphone 3gs, Ipad, and Retina appsolutecreations 10 14,943 May 19, 2012 10:02 AM
Last Post: tapouillo
  Music bitrate for ipad and iphone games Bambinou 5 9,047 Nov 19, 2011 07:02 PM
Last Post: fugufish
  Scaling Problem in Cocos2d Jerm #1 7 9,382 May 18, 2011 11:02 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  frame buffer 320x480 scaling images/2=retina? sefiroths 0 3,999 May 10, 2011 05:24 AM
Last Post: sefiroths
  Why is my iPad game so slow? Applewood 53 26,457 Jan 3, 2011 04:54 PM
Last Post: Applewood