Chiptunes: Best mac compatible tracker?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good mac compatible tracker (to make chiptunes with)? I've looked at milkytracker, but it doesn't come with any sort of 'instruments' or sample sounds, and I'm looking for something more 'entry level'. THanks!^_^
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
You can run LSDj in a game boy emulator

Edit: There is a big list actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_audio_trackers but I don't know which ones are good and which aren't.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
I doubt you'll find a decent tracker that comes with that stuff. It's not very hard to find, just look up instruments with Google. They'll have a .xm extension.

The whole point of using a tracker is to be able to put in whatever samples you want. There's not much of a point to including them.

Note that you can just open up sample songs and export the instruments they use.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
TimMcD Wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for a good mac compatible tracker (to make chiptunes with)?

Although you can make chiptunes with tracker software the two aren't really connected at the hip. The trackers of old did indeed use the host sound chip to generate output but nowadays "tracker music" usually refers to song files with embedded audio samples, which often include samples of real instruments or modern synths.

If you're hardcore then grab some emulators and run the old timey trackers of your choice. But nowadays it's easier to start with your favourite (modern) DAW or MIDI app, then add an AU/VSTi synth that recreates the old chip sounds. There are tons of free synths for Windows that emulate C64 SID and various Nintendo systems but notably fewer for Mac OS X, but if you search around you can also find some sample sets with sounds generated from authentic hardware.
YMCK has an 8-bit synthesizer plug-in for Garageband. I assume they use it for their chip-tunes. Downloaded it a couple days ago, but alas, haven't had time to play around with it any. Sad

http://www.ymck.net/english/download/index.html
The Magical 8-bit plug-in works pretty well. You also might want to take a look at Chip32, which lets you own draw your own waveforms at a custom resolution.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Apprentice
Hi,

I'm pretty sure that Renoise fit the job, if not buy an Amiga or a C64 Smile

http://www.renoise.com/download/renoise/

Kamel

TimMcD Wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for a good mac compatible tracker (to make chiptunes with)? I've looked at milkytracker, but it doesn't come with any sort of 'instruments' or sample sounds, and I'm looking for something more 'entry level'. THanks!^_^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any free, OSX-compatible 3D software? stevejohnson 6 5,092 Feb 23, 2003 05:41 PM
Last Post: AJ Infinity