To buy or to wait, that is the question

Greetings!

So, I'm jumping into iPhone and iTouch development and need an iPod Touch (as I don't want to pay an expensive monthly phone bill). MacRumors.com suggests not to buy an iPod Touch, as they expect new ones to come out soon. After digging around more, most people expect the new iPhone to be released June 8th, though don't expect the iPod to be released until September.

What's your advice? I have all the free time in the world right now (not in September). I want to jump on developing right now, though don't want to buy a device and have it outdated in a week. Sad

Thoughts? Suggestions?

~Achi
Quote this message in a reply
Unless you hope to develop for new hardware functionality that only exists in the new device, you'd do well with an older one for development. It's particularly useful for testing, since ensuring backward compatibility is usually more difficult than ensuring forward compatibility.
There is a strong possibility that new products may be announced at WWDC, hold off till then.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Thanks for the replies and I apologize for the super late reply of my own! I actually decided to buy the iPod Touch. ThemsAllTook made a very convincing suggestion. Even if they do announce a new iPod, I'd like to have a second generation for development. Well school starts up again in the Fall, I plan to buy a third generation iPod Touch as well so that I can test multiplayer and new features for newer hardware.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

~Achi

Ps. If they do announce new iPods, the 2nd Generation iPod Touches will likely go down in price. However, I don't think the price difference is going to be that bad and I really want to get started as soon as possible. I should receive the iPod Touch today from Amazon. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How long do you wait before posting? wyrmmage 17 7,263 Aug 2, 2009 04:38 AM
Last Post: Oddity007