Getting Started

Hello,

(Short history) It has been two years since I've been here and it's good to be back! I left because I thought I wanted to develop websites instead of video games; I actually did quite well. However, websites are limited and are a dime a million. My code (PHP and Ruby on Rails) is beautiful, though no one cares. I want to be able to 'wow' someone. For instance, I can't wait for StarCraft 2 to come out; I've been dazzled and want to pass this general feeling of excitement and fun to others. I also don't feel like I'm being challenged enough in the web world and this is a great place for me to grow.

With that aside, I'm looking into getting into iPhone and iPod Touch video game development. I've been reading everything I can to help me figure out how to jump on this fancy bandwagon and now have a plan. Your feedback and advice on this plan is why I'm posting. Smile

I need to get back into C/Objective-C. I've chosen the following books:
  1. Learn C on the Macintosh by Dave Mark
  2. Learn Objective–C on the Mac by Mark Dalrymple and Scott Knaster

Once I'm back on my feet with the code, I need to learn Cocoa and the iPhone SDK:
  1. Cocoa Programming for the Mac (3rd Edition) by Aaron Hillegass
  2. Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche

Now, I can't make games without learning OpenGL ES 1.1--I don't want to use a game engine. I've learned that the ES 1.1 version of OpenGL is based on OpenGL 1.5.
  1. OpenGL® Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL®, Version 2 (5th Edition)

I specifically chose an outdated edition to ensure that it will cover OpenGL 1.5 instead of 2.0 (this book covers both). I also plan to use the following site:

http://embedded.org.ua/opengles/lessons.html

These are the NeHe OpenGL lessons translated for OpenGL ES 1.1. If things aren't clicking by this point, I've decided to use the oolongengine for my first game. I'll be building a game like WoW . . . kidding!--casual games. I'll use the engine to learn how things are being done so that I can make my own engine.

Anyway, that's my plan. If you know of a better way to get started with iPhone and iPod Touch development, please let me know. Thanks!

~Achithyn
Quote this message in a reply
Hi Achithyn

I'm going through the same process as you at the moment and to help others doing the same I'm creating screen casts on what I've done and got working.

http://www.71squared.co.uk

Just in case it helps.

MikeD
Hello Mike,

Thanks very much for showing me your blog. I'll make sure to follow your progress. Smile

~Achi
You may not need to read a book on Cocoa. If your app is in opengl you can stick to most of the core stuff(which is pretty easy to use). The gui stuff you probably don't want to use if you want to wow people(you would be using opengl instead). As far as objective c, the dev center has some really good instructions and all that. You could probably skip a book on that too(I did). Have you used java or c# or some other high level language before? Even c++ might be enough. Just get a hang of using [ob func] instead of ob.func and the rest is pretty straight forward.

There was even a website somewhere with an objective c to java translation table, like protocol -> interface etc. The hardest part of all this will be opengl. If you are strong enough to learn that I think the other parts will be really easy for you.

Also finally, I don't know about other people, but when I am learning something I will read 3-4 pages of instructions, be it a book or an online example and 98% of it sinks right in but there is one part im confused on and that hangs me up for hours. Having this forum you can ask the 2% part and get that confusion sorted out without having to bang your head against the wall.
Thanks Kendric!

I'm experienced in C, C++, PHP, and Ruby. I've played around with other languages such as Java, Python, VisualBasic, DarkBasic, and QBasic, though it has been a very long time since I did anything in those languages; I also didn't do that much in those languages.

Unfortunately, I already bought the books; I'm impatient. Rasp I do want to learn Cocoa, as I'll want to build a level editor for my game. I'm not looking for cross platform support and thought Cocoa would be the best way to go about making my editor / game engine.

It's comforting to know that I have a place to ask 98% of the stuff I don't get . . . or was it 2%? Smile Thanks again!

~Achi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Please help me get started. makinggames 5 3,010 Jun 20, 2009 09:54 PM
Last Post: Achithyn
  Where to go after "Getting Started"? XxtraLarGe 4 3,116 Oct 17, 2008 10:14 AM
Last Post: XxtraLarGe