Dynamic Text

Nibbie
I used to work in Macromedia Flash and one can use something called "dynamic text" to be displayed on the main screen.
How can I get the same effect using C++ with OpenGL ?
I wasted a lot of time searching in Google with the entry "Dynamic Text C++" but nothing instructive resulted. Isn't there nothing like that in C++ working with windows ? <windows.h>
Thank friends.

joe Wacko
Quote this message in a reply
Hey joe. First, this is a Macintosh and iPhone development forum so we aren't likely to provide you with the best answers for Windows programming. That said, in OpenGL, you'll either want to use bitmap fonts or rendered text from either Windows or Freetype, drawn onto a single texture and rendered in OpenGL as a quad. Check out http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/les...?lesson=13 for an example of how to do bitmap fonts, which is a popular way to draw text in OpenGL.
Oldtimer
Or wait a week or so, and I'll have something cool to show you. Wink
Fenris Wrote:Or wait a week or so, and I'll have something cool to show you. Wink

Can't wait to see it Grin
Oldtimer
It's not that cool, Jake. Wink It's text rendering related, nothing fancy but it's wrapped up nicely. I'm feature-complete for what I want to do initially, I'm just cleaning it up, writing public headers and hacking some demos for it. Smile
Are you talking about something like what we discussed in this thread:

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17113

The big point with it was to do what FreeType/FTGL does but with less code, less complexity. (Installing and compiling FTGL is not very easy IMHO.)

I indend to share my source, but I thought I should take out the remaining QuickDraw code first, and make a nice replacement for the resource manager code to make it portable. I havn't had time for that, but otherwise it runs nicely.