Good tools for editing 2D game data?

Wow, looks like you put a lot of work into that tcIgnatius! I'd leave the icons out of the menus, but otherwise it looks really slick.
Quote this message in a reply
tcIgnatius Wrote:This is probably a far cry from what you really want. I was working on this program called "Spriter" a couple months before uDG started. It was my first large software project and suffered heavily from feature creep. At first it started out as a simple program that created sprite sheets. Then animations. Then collision boxes. Then I wanted to be able to draw and edit sprites within the program. Anyway I fell into somewhat of a complexity trap. It was a bit too overwhelming.
You certainly are not scared of GUI programming! Smile Managing complexity is very, very hard.

What you have done looks really impressive though, complete with multi-track animations. It looks like a kind of GameMaker/Klik'n'Play.
Quote:Wow, looks like you put a lot of work into that tcIgnatius! I'd leave the icons out of the menus, but otherwise it looks really slick.
Thanks! Yes, it was a lot of work. Took me about 4 months and several hundred cups of coffee. The icons in the menu do look pretty tacky, but I don't have any future plans with this program. Although I have discontinued working on this, I have been working on another game development tool. It's a much simpler level editor for 2D games. It's design is really generic, so it should be able to produce level data for any type of 2D game.

Quote:You certainly are not scared of GUI programming! Managing complexity is very, very hard.

What you have done looks really impressive though, complete with multi-track animations. It looks like a kind of GameMaker/Klik'n'Play.
Wow, Thanks Ingemar! The GUI programming aspect is not as scary when I use a tool like REALbasic, which is what I used to create this. Interface Builder isn't bad either, but it's just as you were saying: managing this sort of project is difficult.

My ultimate goal would be to have a program similar to Spriter, but geared toward a different framework. (I was considering SDL/OpenGL)
With the level editor my plan is to build a module in several different languages to easily use the data it creates.

BTW, if you have a build of my uDG project Syntropy you can use Spriter and load in the "hero sprite" from the sprites folder. You can also save over him, and run the game with the altered sprite. (as long as the animations are all accounted for and have the same name)
Quote:It's a much simpler level editor for 2D games. It's design is really generic, so it should be able to produce level data for any type of 2D game.
I'm actually finished with this if anyone is interested. It's in this thread: http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17795

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  'Normalize' normal map after editing in PS NoradNinja 29 15,651 Oct 24, 2007 10:33 AM
Last Post: NoradNinja
  What is a good texture formats for game models? -Rice- 8 5,603 Jan 7, 2004 11:34 AM
Last Post: whogben