Why does Apple do nothing against illegal iPhone app piracy?

Hi mates!

Why are sites like appulo.us working?
Why does Apple do nothing againts appulo.us?
If I see my game there, can I do something?

Thanks for your opinions.
Quote this message in a reply
You can try contacting the sites that host the files linked from Appulous. I imagine that they'd respond quickly to a vaguely legal-sounding e-mail (or even just a polite one).

Appulous isn't really doing anything illegal (AFAIK), and so it'd be a bit of a PR nightmare for Apple to go after them. Also it's not really Apple's responsibility to protect other people's IP.

Instead, Apple should concentrate on improving the DRM to make it harder to crack apps. Not that that's ever likely to be successful.
maximile Wrote:You can try contacting the sites that host the files linked from Appulous. I imagine that they'd respond quickly to a vaguely legal-sounding e-mail (or even just a polite one).

Appulous isn't really doing anything illegal (AFAIK), and so it'd be a bit of a PR nightmare for Apple to go after them. Also it's not really Apple's responsibility to protect other people's IP.

Instead, Apple should concentrate on improving the DRM to make it harder to crack apps. Not that that's ever likely to be successful.

Thanks for reply.

What does "PR" mean?
maximile Wrote:You can try contacting the sites that host the files linked from Appulous. I imagine that they'd respond quickly to a vaguely legal-sounding e-mail (or even just a polite one).

Appulous isn't really doing anything illegal (AFAIK), and so it'd be a bit of a PR nightmare for Apple
to go after them. Also it's not really Apple's responsibility to protect other people's IP.

Actualy it is apples responsibility to protect peoples apps, because they made it so the only way you can distribute apps is through the appstore(I think it is a great system though) also apple should be trying to stop appulo.us because apple gets 10 percent of each paid for app. This is just my opinion.
Chris
riruilo Wrote:Thanks for reply.

What does "PR" mean?

Public relations. Apple would be criticised a lot in the press.
chrism Wrote:Actualy it is apples responsibility to protect peoples apps, because they made it so the only way you can distribute apps is through the appstore(I think it is a great system though) also apple should be trying to stop appulo.us because apple gets 10 percent of each paid for app. This is just my opinion.
Chris

10%? How did you negotiate that deal?
Apple takes out 10% of your profit, that you make from the games you develop.
Actually they take 30%...
Alex
EvolPenguin Wrote:Actually they take 30%...
Alex
Even more reason for Apple to do something about it.
Apple is by no means obligated or required by law to prevent the theft of your intellectual property. Sitting around for Apple to do something would be very stupid. Contact your company lawyer and have them draft up a cease and desist letter, it should only cost a few hundred dollars.

If they fail to comply with cease and desist take them to civil court.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
I have heard of some companys that can detect if it was illegally downloaded and make it so the app dosn't work for them
chrism Wrote:I have heard of some companys that can detect if it was illegally downloaded and make it so the app dosn't work for them

Yes this is fairly easy to do.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
How do the companys do it? And why didn't apple make it a standard?
chrism Wrote:How do the companys do it? And why didn't apple make it a standard?

I wonder the same questions.

By the way, if I see my app on appulo, can I do something? I mean, something useful? (apart from sending some polite emails to file providers)

Thanks for your replies.
riruilo Wrote:I wonder the same questions.

By the way, if I see my app on appulo, can I do something? I mean, something useful? (apart from sending some polite emails to file providers)

Thanks for your replies.

Yes. See my above comment.

kodex Wrote:Contact your company lawyer and have them draft up a cease and desist letter, it should only cost a few hundred dollars.

If they fail to comply with cease and desist take them to civil court.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My First iPhone Game Release - Apple Basket iphoneappfan 0 2,334 Apr 4, 2010 03:27 AM
Last Post: iphoneappfan
  About piracy, web services and subscription payment. riruilo 3 2,900 Feb 28, 2010 02:20 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  iPhone piracy raising 95% riruilo 19 7,383 Feb 11, 2010 06:28 PM
Last Post: Kerome