Lets make a living at this stuff, dang it!!!

Nibbie
SO, I've been thinking alot recently about how we could make our apps earn us a living anad this what i've come up with and only costs $10. a month. I have 2 apps out there that only bring in about 250. a month if i'm lucky.Not enough to even buy food for a month. So, here's my idea..and this I will do no matter what the feed back is. I will pick 10 apps a month at .99c and buy them no matter if i think thet are good or not and I figure if all the developers out there do the same we could make a killing,,we could share on which ones we are going to choose and make it count. I am very serious about this. I can't think of a better way to earn a living..This will also allow us to finance future apps for ourselves and others. Simple idea with so much potential...pottery wheel and iharp are our games...
Quote this message in a reply
Seems pyramidal, but I don't think that will work anyway, because the probability of your app being selected is low.

There are what, 185,000 apps out right now? Lets say 50 percent are $1 reducing that to 92500. So the probability that one developer chooses yours is 10 * 1/92500 = 0.000108, since you think devs should buy 10 each month. Lets say you convince 1000 developers to do this, that boost the expected number of sales to 0.108 per month. At 70 cents of profit, that computes to $0.07. Now take away the $10 your spent and you're in the hole -$9.92

So yeah, seems like a good way to lose money Rasp
Even if 100% of the developers were participating, you'd still be losing money. If 100% of developers participated AND apple didn't take a cut, you'd break even.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
AndyKorth Wrote:Even if 100% of the developers were participating, you'd still be losing money. If 100% of developers participated AND apple didn't take a cut, you'd break even.

I think if Apple didn't take a cut you *could* gain money if you released more apps than the average developer did and you had full participation of developers. With the cut, you'd have to have released significantly more than average (>1.4x).

P = cost of an app
C = number of apps each developer buys per month
D = number of developers
A = average number of apps per developer
Y = number of apps you've released

so the inequality to find is:

PC(Y/DA)*D ? PC

reduces to:

Y/A ? 1

or (Y/A) ? 1.4 with the .7 cut you get

But since its only beneficial to some it would never pan out, and even then the conditions have to be really friggin optimal to make it work.
It's also the worst case situation for the sort of prisoner's dilemma sort of problem. By lying about participating, you receive the full benefit of the scheme without any of the paying.

⌘-R in Chief
Hmm... I can't make up my mind about how to make fun of this. There are so many options.
Sage
AndyKorth Wrote:It's also the worst case situation for the sort of prisoner's dilemma sort of problem. By lying about participating, you receive the full benefit of the scheme without any of the paying.

Are you comparing developers to murderers? Holy crap. It's hard enough to take crap from users who think it's a slap in the face to pay $1 for the apps I make. This is just downright insulting. Who do you think you are?

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Skorche Wrote:Are you comparing developers to murderers? Holy crap. It's hard enough to take crap from users who think it's a slap in the face to pay $1 for the apps I make. This is just downright insulting. Who do you think you are?

This insult is an outrage! How dare you! How dare you, *sir*! Cool

Skorche Wrote:Are you comparing developers to murderers? Holy crap. It's hard enough to take crap from users who think it's a slap in the face to pay $1 for the apps I make. This is just downright insulting. Who do you think you are?
Upset about apptards complaining about a dollar? I saw one just the other day where the game was FREE, and pretty well made, and one of the users gave it a one star rating just because they had advertisements in the game, and they felt compelled to write a review about it even. That one I had to LOL at.
AnotherJake Wrote:Upset about apptards complaining about a dollar? I saw one just the other day where the game was FREE, and pretty well made, and one of the users gave it a one star rating just because they had advertisements in the game, and they felt compelled to write a review about it even. That one I had to LOL at.

Meanwhile they'll go buy their coke out of a vending machine for $1.25
alerus Wrote:Meanwhile they'll go buy their coke out of a vending machine for $1.25

Of course, the counter to that is that it's the developers' fault. For instance: Coke isn't giving Coke away for free, and neither is Pepsi, nor Walmart, nor anyone else for that matter, but there are countless FREE games out there. Many of them are doing it for a strategic purpose which makes sense, like promoting their other games, but many consumers aren't looking at it like that. Does Coke give away Diet Coke with an ad on it asking them to buy regular Coke? No. The end result is that there now exists a large amount of consumers which are receiving pretty good casual games which are completely FREE, with sometimes no, or minimally intrusive advertisement. It's in the players' interest to keep complaining to developers to make them even more free (as if that's possible) and devoid of any annoyances whatsoever. If the developer doesn't comply then they get smacked with a petulant one star review. It's kind of a positive feedback loop which works to the advantage of the players, and disadvantage to the developers.
Founder
Quote:Seems pyramidal
Dang that Bernard Madoff for making Apps from his jail cell!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
@AnotherJake
I'm not sure it is to the players' advantage. If nobody can make any money selling games, and all they get is grief for giving them away, then they'll just stop, and the players will have amuse themselves. Unfortunately they don't seem to realise that most software is written by people who are trying to earn a living.
backslash Wrote:Unfortunately they don't seem to realise that most software is written by people who are trying to earn a living.

That should be: Unfortunately they don't seem to realise that most good software is written by people who are trying to earn a living.

Unfortunately, 75% of the stuff out there that I've seen is just junk. Only 25% is worthy of consideration.

Your point is definitely a valid one. However, that doesn't seem to have stopped boatloads of developers from trying anyway (including myself I suppose, but I've been at this for a long time on Apple platforms, so I figured it was worth another try). The success stories of hundreds of thousands of dollars in a short period of time keep 'em coming, no matter the stories of huge investment risks with little or no return. So really, it's not hurting the players until the word gets out to the developers that its a dead-end investment for 99.9% of attempts, and they stop trying. But you're right that in the long-run, the players will probably ultimately lose.
⌘-R in Chief
As someone trying to make a living of a category of program which has a free app, I too am annoyed by that. To lots of potential customers, it doesn't matter if mine is better if someone else's is free.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Making a living with apps luke71933 6 573 Mar 30, 2014 01:32 AM
Last Post: luke71933
  How much can I stuff in to video ram? (on iPhone/iPod touch) Jamie W 9 9,241 Aug 6, 2010 05:23 AM
Last Post: mariocaprino
  Who has stuff up on App store? XxtraLarGe 11 4,566 Oct 31, 2008 09:31 PM
Last Post: bronxbomber92