Getting Started, is this game possible?

Apprentice
A MMORPG where the player is a citizen in a real world country. Players are free to do whatever they want and can choose to do any occupation they choose (so long as they have the knowledge/IQ). Players can play just to meet people and live a virtual life or can aim for the top and become the leader of the country. Take it a step further and even goto war with other countries.

Features:
- Huge Job List
- Full society and democratic system
- Trading system (StockMarket, Food, Gold ect)
- Bank System
- Military System
- Random Disasters

This game will be based off of Republic Online http://www.republic-game.com. After playing it and really enjoying it i noticed that there heaps of flaws that make it boring. I intend to make a more indepth version of it and add extra features.

I've been highly inspired by this game and that is why i want to make a better version. Sadly i don't really have any programming skills other than VB.
So where should i begin if i want to create this game? Can this game be created in mudmaker?

Thoughts guys?
Thank you Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Yes this game is possible. With no programming skills the only talent you can bring to the table would be a financial backer.

Something like this would cost upwards of $50,000,000 to $100,000,000 USD and a couple of years to develop. I am not familiar with Republic Online so I will just assume you want the best graphics available.

If you want to work on the programming of this game you will have to start much much much much smaller, try pong first.

If you attempt to make anything even remotely resembling this you will become frustrated and give up very quickly. If you are serious about making a game like this you have 2 options.

1) Learn to program and join a company that has the backing to create games like these, Blizzard comes to mind.
2) Create your own company and bring in funding to hire developers will the skills needed to create a game like this.

I leave you with this delightful comic

[Image: 2864970757_2fd6d06367.jpg?v=0]

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Apprentice
lol perhaps I should have mentioned that Republic Online is a text based game with simple 2D Graphics that you can click on. Does this change the cost of it? ;P
If u want a good look at it u can sign up instantly (no email verification) and take a quick look around.

Any thoughts regarding it now?
Yes a text based game is much easier to accomplish.

You still are left with 2 choices, learn to program or pay a developer to work on it.

You can probably pick up enough programming to put together a text based game in a couple of months. I would suggest starting off with a shell of what you want and adding features as you go along. You really dont want to jump right into all the advanced stuff right away. Get a proof of concept going then add to it.

If you want to hire a developer, you will need to free up $50-70/hr for someone with the talent to put together a project of this nature, assuming its web based. It is hard to give a good guess on the number of hours to get your final project created, but you should be able to get an interactive shell in place in a couple of weeks.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Apprentice
No way am i paying anyone to do this. This is just something fun i want to work on and hopefully finish. I've got so many great ideas i want to achieve.

So, based on the description of the game, what language should i use to program it? Hopefully i'll get lots of people playing it so it will have to handle lots of people at once.
Also any resources you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks Kodex!
Well you seem to be moving more towards web programming, which falls outside my area of knowledge. I would do some google research on Python, see if that sounds like it will work for you, otherwise I will leave it for other forum members to suggestion suitable resources/languages.

Don't forget that you will have to put at least some money out of pocket you can't really host this kind of stuff on GoDaddy or something =)

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Apprentice
Yea thats fine. I always thought it'd be PHP and MySQL for this?
EDIT: I've been looking around but i'm kinda lost and i have no idea where to start. Can someone perhaps point me to a good site where i can learn to make a text based mmorpg?
Also any other resources would really help.

Thanks a lot fo all your help Smile
SmackAHobo Wrote:Yea thats fine. I always thought it'd be PHP and MySQL for this?

Not if you have any hope of having a lot of people connection without paying massive server cost.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Apprentice
Ok, so python it is...
SmackAHobo Wrote:Ok, so python it is...
That wouldn't really make a difference. You are so far below where you need to be to even come close to making an MMORPG.

Like many others, you have chosen the worst possible project to start with. Get real.

Also, your screen name is offensive, hence the total lack of sympathy in this post.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
I'm fairly certain we're dealing with a prankster here. The e-mail address entered in the profile viewable in the mod CP more or less confirms it... IP doesn't match any of our other members, though.
Oh no... Another Poe's law fanatic, this time he's one who can spell i_i
Apprentice
diordna Wrote:That wouldn't really make a difference. You are so far below where you need to be to even come close to making an MMORPG.

Like many others, you have chosen the worst possible project to start with. Get real.

Also, your screen name is offensive, hence the total lack of sympathy in this post.

I don't care if you like my name mate, i've been politley asking for some help and if your not going to provide any then please don't post in this thread again. You a quite posssibly the worst moderator i've ever seen and are completely unprofessional when representing this site.

For those who would like to provide help to someone who really wants to learn this stuff, is python the way to go or something else?

Thank you

Edited by: EvolPenguin
Message: Please keep it civil in here, opinions are welcome, vulgar language is not.
I am pretty sure he wants to make a web based game, probably something like Utopia, or Ikariam. It's just a bunch of web forms and numbers in a database.. pretty basic stuff. With less than 100 active players, any random bottom-of-the-barrel web host will handle it.

Would you recommend python for a basic webapp? I think that php and mysql is probably a fine fit for the project and scale of what he wants to do.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
This may not be the best forum for these questions as we are a Macintosh development community not a web development community.

However you can take a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_develop...ical_Areas read up on the languages and make your own informed choice. Personally I like to use Erlang for things that have to scale very well but it is not an easy language to pick up and there is not a large community around it like there is around java or python.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com