OpenGL box2d scale factor

Nibbie
Hi,

I'm trying to use box2d physics engine in a simple iphone game, but having problems with the scale factor. Since the general approach is to use 30 pixels per meter for most games, that is what i tried to do.

So if I want a 30 pixel per meter scale, should I do this?

float scale = 30.0f;
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrthof(0, scale, 0, scale * 1.5f, -1.0f, 1.0f);

This seems to work ok when rendering opengl shapes. But when I add a sprite, the sprite is huge! I have a 30*30px square sprite should map to a 1*1 meter box, but when the sprite renders it is way bigger than the 1 meter box. I know this has something to do with have I've called glOrthof, but not sure what I should do.

I seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this is supposed to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
What you've set up is a projection which is 30 units wide and 45 units tall. This means that if there are 30 units per meter, a 1-meter-wide object will take up the entire width of your projection. Since you're talking about pixels, it sounds like you simply want to do glOrtho(0, pixelsWide, 0, pixelsHigh, -1.0f, 1.0f);. This way, one unit in your projection corresponds to one pixel on your screen; the ratio of pixels to meters doesn't come into the equation for setting up your projection.
Nibbie
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry, I'm still am missing that 'aha'.

Since Box2D wants dynamic bodies between .1 and 10 meters, I create all my dynamic bodies within this optimal 'tuned' range. If I use glOrthof(0, 480, 0, 320, -1, 1);, it seems to have the effect of mapping 1 pixel to 1 box2d unit(meter). The net result, the physics bodies are tiny (between .1 and 10 pixels), but the sprites are now correctly sized.

If I don't use glOrtho to apply a pixel-to-meters unit ratio, what is the correct approach ?

This link describes the scaling factor at the very bottom.
http://www.box2d.org/wiki/index.php?titl...ters_units

Thanks,
Chris
Nibbie
Ok, I thought more about your suggestion, and tried experimenting with glScalef instead of trying to use the projection to handle the pixel-meter ratio. And it worked great. I think that has solved the issue.

Thanks!
Nibbie
Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you were,

I can setup my glOrthof like so

glOrthof(-240.0f,240.0f,-160.0f,160.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f);

results in textures being the right size and box2d shapes being tiny

glOrthof(-10.0f,10.0f,-15.0f,15.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f);

results in box2d being the right size and textures being huge.

I've tried scaling my textures using

glScalef(sx,sy,1);

but they look rubbish when scaling a 512x512 background image to 32x32 so it fits the box2d world.

Could you post how you solved the problem?

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  opengl es strange 16bit texture scale problem spuckfunkel 6 9,568 Aug 14, 2011 10:44 PM
Last Post: headkaze
  How can I build BOX2D as a static lib for the iPhone? riruilo 3 4,740 Oct 8, 2009 06:27 AM
Last Post: Skorche