Can I develop for iPhone using Windows?

Nibbie
If not, how about using Virtual PC or VMWare?

Thanks..
Quote this message in a reply
No you need a Mac.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Yes, you can. I even I guess some companies use Windows to develop their games.

[Image: getattachment1aspxh.jpg]

[Image: getattachmentaspxzcg.jpg]

But you will need a MAC to compile the final iphone version of your program.
[*snip*] edited to remove discussion of Leopard license violation.

Anyway, I recommend you buy a cheap MAC, like a macbook or macmini. I bought a 2º hand macbook for 350 euros. But a macmini should be better.
Josh Wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Can+I+develop+for+i...Windows%3F

I think I will send similar links to some friends.
Thanks a lot Wink
I have developed a C++ cross-platform engine (Windows, Mac, iPhone, Haiku), and can do development under any platform. The final compilation needs to be done on the iPhone, as well as all performance tuning, testing, etc. My biggest problem is that I dont have accelerometer support on other platforms, so I just fudge it with numpad keys which send same input to game code.

99% of our development is with Visual Studio. Only one developer (me) actually has an iPhone.

Did you all realise the first link of that link is... This link!!!!

@smallstepforman: What are you using for events and windowing? Your own code (obviously different code on PC and iPhone) or are you using something like SDL?

Thanks.
riruilo Wrote:@smallstepforman: What are you using for events and windowing? Your own code (obviously different code on PC and iPhone) or are you using something like SDL?
Thanks.

My engine uses it's own API. The respective platform feeds data to the game via the API. The platform specific code is only 2 files (less than 1% of the code).

Eg.

class YInputHandler
{
public:
virtual void KeyDown(Y_KEY aKey, bool down) {}
virtual bool MouseDown(Y_MOUSE_BUTTON button, bool down, float x, float y) {return true;}
virtual void MouseMoved(Y_MOUSE_BUTTON button, float x, float y) {}
virtual void MultiTouchMoved(float delta_x, float delta_y) {}
virtual void Accelerometer(float delta_x, float delta_y, float delta_z) {}
};

Obviously, the platform specific code grabs iPhone touches and forwards them to MouseDown/MouseMoved. I've also added code for the Windows XP host to allow simulating of MultiTouchMoved and Accelerometer. All objects which accept input (a game view or a GUI element) inherit from YInputHandler. Multiple inheritance is good.

Cheers.

Oh, my goodness... That's the first time I've actually bothered to check out the lmgtfy.com link, and that is freakin' hilarious. I knew the gist of the site, but the implementation is sheerly wonderful.

"Who's John Galt?"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to develop Android apps for Beginners duyencaothi 3 4,430 Feb 26, 2013 05:45 AM
Last Post: 365socialmedia
  Develop an iOS game BlackRainey 1 4,147 Nov 22, 2011 07:16 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  I want to develop for iPhone, where to start? ashwin911 4 4,172 Jan 29, 2009 11:13 PM
Last Post: maximile
  How much to develop an iPhone Game for App Store nelgom 1 5,094 Jul 14, 2008 08:23 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  What will you have to need/know to develop games on the iPhone? bmerri 3 5,394 Jun 20, 2008 05:28 PM
Last Post: Talyn