3D Models in the iPhone

Im also thinking of using cheetah, but before I buy I just want to make doubly sure I will be able to use the .h method to load draw the model.

Has anyone got a small sample of a .h file that it produces?

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
I'm at the same point in my OpenGL 3d engine right now, so this thread is a fortuitous find.

Cheetah is great, but I'm interested in finding something with support for animation keyframing and texture mapping (see above drawbacks of Cheetah in AnotherJake's post).

The OpenGL text I'm using for my main reference (the trusty http://www.amazon.com/OpenGL-Programming...990&sr=8-1) implies that MD2 (Quake II) model formats are the way to go for a model structure that is flexible and widely-used. The book is a bit aged, though, so I'm wondering if there are newer formats that support a more efficient storage and retrieval of data.

"Who's John Galt?"
Apprentice
Something to ponder:
Cheetah 3D's native file format, .jas, is actually a plist. You can rename it with the .plist extension and XCode will preview it. You can also add a Cheetah 3D file to your XCode project as is and tell XCode to interpret it as a plist (using the File Type dropdown in the File Inspector). You can set a preference in Cheetah 3D for saving text XML plists or binary plists. Xcode reads both, so a binary version is a bit more efficient size-wise.

I'm not sure any of this is of any real value yet, but I'm working on a loader for iOS that will treat the native Cheetah 3D file as a plist/NSDictionary object from which I will grab the vertex data and send it to the GPU. I'm not a pro at this, so I'm proceeding at a snail's pace.

Also, it's easy to write an exporter using JavaScript to export the data you want. I wrote an exporter that saves a trimmed-down plist with just the basic data similar to what you find in a typical .obj file. It doesn't support bones and skinning, so I'm continuing with my native loader effort.
Apprentice
(Mar 27, 2009 01:48 PM)kalimba Wrote:  As I understand things, there are also some modeling applications (Cheetah 3D is one) that will export model data directly to C header files (.h) that you can #include in your project.

Hey, thanks it is also helpful to me.Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Infos about using 3D models in iPhone apps KEMISTRY 6 6,043 May 23, 2009 10:36 AM
Last Post: earamsey
  3D Models on IPhone haudio 6 4,553 Jan 14, 2009 03:17 AM
Last Post: riruilo