uDevGames 2008 Winners

mattness Wrote:One game conspicuously absent from the list is Reclaimed by Andy Korth. It was an ambitious project, but I think what he accomplished was amazing.

No one has showed interest in my spare copy of Director yet, so I'd like to offer him first crack at it if he's interested. I know he said he wanted Unity in the prize discussion thread, but Director does a lot of the similar things, it might work for him.

Another game I think really deserves some credit is Stealth Man by Mark Thomson. If Andy passes and Mark is interested I'd like it to go to him.

Yes, those were both great entries.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Quote this message in a reply
Great work to everyone who participated! I think just sitting down and finishing a game is a huge reward in and of itself, and definitely a great experience.

Also, thank you Mattness, AnotherJake, Hairball, and everyone who tried and enjoyed Reclaimed. I knew when I was picking a project that it was not a good contest entry, and wouldn't really have any of the qualities that were being judged on- but I am glad I did it. I think I would have really regretted it if I missed the opportunity to work on something I really wanted to try.

Thank you mattness for the offer of Director, but I think I'll pass on that one. The contract I was talking about was specifically for a Unity project.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Apprentice
Great job, everybody!!
Glad to see that the games which deserve it actually won Wink
It was great fun to make a game and then sit back and test all the other entries!
There's a really high level of quality this year. Can't wait to read the postmortems and -of course- get the prizes, hehehehe
Keep up the good work and enjoy the fame, everybody!
Congrats to all! I think contests are a great learning experience and I am grateful to have entered this one, gotten some valuable feedback, played some games that were really well made and some that had great nuggets of potential in them and gotten some prizes (whatever they turn out to be) as well.
I was really impressed with the work that people put in and hope that the devs will go on to make even cooler stuff for the Mac.
Thanks to Carlos and the others involved with wrestling this wild beast of a contest into somewhat of a respectable domestic form. And thanks to all of the generous contributors of prizes. There is a lot of great stuff up for grabs! As it has been said, your generosity really stands out during these penny-pinching times.
Great, i totally agree with the results, congrats to everyone on the list ( and also those not! )
You could think the veteran justinfic won easy with his tried and true shoot'em'up gameplay, however this is not so, i played an earlier version of the game and it certainly would not have gotten first place, there's obviouly been a lot of effort and care in making the game so polished and fun. So it deserved to win.
Still kudos to everyone that tried to come up with original mechanics.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Congratulations to all the winners.
One point that I thought was interesting with regards to Reclaimed was that it scored more points in the overall category than any of the others (even though it ranked higher in one other), which is only true of a few games.
In the case of Reclaimed I thought that probably reflected the nature of the categories - what everyone seems to be praising most is the technical achievement of the game, which is not voted on anywhere (although it would be a tough one to gauge).

On another note, I seem to remember a thread about the top five winning prizes, but the rules do say it's the top three.
Congratulations everyone. Awesome contest.
Apprentice
Hairball183 Wrote:You can't feel too sorry for Reclaimed(sorry Andy Rasp).

What can I say, I like the game. Smile It's the sort of game that needs external sites to help build a community, something you can't quite get with 3 months of dev time. Although I only started playing after the submission deadline, as I'm sure many of the other players did.

And congrats to all the winners! Your entries clearly deserved their spots in their respective categories! Next time I'll push myself harder and give you some more competition! Wink
skwirl42 Wrote:What can I say, I like the game. Smile It's the sort of game that needs external sites to help build a community, something you can't quite get with 3 months of dev time. Although I only started playing after the submission deadline, as I'm sure many of the other players did.

It was an excellent game. Cool

Any chance of a button with the caption 'I Reclaimed'? You could track how many people have played.
The possibilities are endless! Grin

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Apprentice
Hairball183 Wrote:It was an excellent game. Cool

WAS? Smile I'm gonna do my best to help make it even better. Smile

Quote:Any chance of a button with the caption 'I Reclaimed'? You could track how many people have played.
The possibilities are endless! Grin

I'm planning on setting up forum software on the site, but an I Reclaimed button would be cool. Some people don't register for forums. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Official Start of uDevGames 2008 aarku 17 8,835 Dec 8, 2008 07:41 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  uDevGames 2008 size limit ThemsAllTook 12 6,190 Dec 6, 2008 07:43 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  uDevGames 2008 Carlos Camacho 153 55,788 Nov 27, 2008 08:17 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  Tutorial Contest - May 23, 2008 stevejohnson 18 10,056 Jun 21, 2008 05:55 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  OMG Cup Winners Bachus 14 7,122 Jan 14, 2006 05:29 AM