What language to use for Iphone game

Nibbie
Hello I wrote a game several years ago using Java. I have also written a few games using C++ on the Microsoft platform. That was over 5 years ago though. So here is my question. What language should I use to write a game that is to be run and played on an Iphone? I also own a Zune so if the game could run on that platform as well, that would be cool (Using XNA).
But really I first need to develop the game on the I-phone. Can someone please guide me in the right direction here?

Thanks in advance,

M.
Quote this message in a reply
C/C++ work fine. You will need to learn a little Objective-C to access the system APIs but that's not too hard, and you don't need to know much, especially for game programming. In fact, there are probably libraries out there that can get you rolling with just C/C++ (oolong engine comes to mind).

Sadly, C# isn't an available language unless you can compile some sort of Mono for iPhone. You might use C# in Unity, but I think their iPhone license is pretty steep (last I checked a long time ago). Without C# there probably isn't going to be any easy way of having future Zune/iPhone portability. I wish it were easier to port between XNA and Mac/iPhone technologies because XNA sure is sweet.
Nibbie
Hi Jake,

What C/C++ compiler are you using? I use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005/2008. Is that what you would recommend?
Visual Studio is not available for OS X, and you can't develop for iPhone from Windows. To program for the iPhone you will have to use any Intel-based Mac, using Mac OS X 10.5, and you'll have to use Xcode for development (Xcode uses GCC as its compiler).
AnotherJake Wrote:Visual Studio is not available for OS X, and you can't develop for iPhone from Windows. To program for the iPhone you will have to use any Intel-based Mac, using Mac OS X 10.5, and you'll have to use Xcode for development (Xcode uses GCC as its compiler).

While not required, a test iPhone is about as close to required as you can get without requiring it.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter