can I do the whole process without adding a device?

Can I start from the beginning an iphone application, make whole certificates, and upload to appstore, without adding a device?

or it is bind to add an iphone device?

I mean,i have an iphone, but i dont want to add, can I do the whole process without adding a device?

thanks a lot !.

my iphone website: http://www.elsalvadorguia.com
intel Imac 20", iphone 8GB (2G)
Quote this message in a reply
You can it is HIGHLY unadvisable to publish an app without testing on at least one device. I currently test on iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, iPod Touch 1g, iPod Touch 2g. And there are differences between them all.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Sage
What makes you think your application will work on the device, if you've never tested it?
kodex Wrote:You can it is HIGHLY unadvisable to publish an app without testing on at least one device. I currently test on iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, iPod Touch 1g, iPod Touch 2g. And there are differences between them all.

Can you give us a list of some of the difference? I currently only check on iPod Touch.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
arekkusu Wrote:What makes you think your application will work on the device, if you've never tested it?

because i try, but my iphone is jailbreaked with pwng tool.

and when try to test the ORGANIZER show an error.
can not tezt on my iphone
the app is on my iphone but can not run too..

how can I tezt app on jailbreaked iphones please?

you can't, jailbroken phones don't give you valid results.

Best is to either restore your iPhone to the normal firmware and network or buy an iPod Touch for testing (or both, as both give you slightly different test results).
arekkusu Wrote:What makes you think your application will work on the device, if you've never tested it?

aspen simulator

if some body have xcoe, and simulator but dont have device, how can they do ?

is npt the aspen simulator a god tool ?

imaumac Wrote:aspen simulator

if some body have xcoe, and simulator but dont have device, how can they do ?

is npt the aspen simulator a god tool ?

The Aspen simulator isn't feature complete, nor does the performance match the actual iPhone/iPod.
Sage
Let me rephrase your question:

"Can I sell a new automobile to customers without ever driving it? It passed all the computer simulations!"

I hope you can see why this is a very bad idea.

You need to test your application in real world conditions. The simulator is not the same thing.
i realy understand you, seriously, I realy understand, but
reed the new error i have.

5 minut ago i restor with itunes the iphone, and say this error:
YOUR SIM CARD IS NOT SUPORTED,

let me explain to you, i buy this phone to some guy 7 month ago.
and only work with jailbreaked mode.

i can sacrifice to make it work, only just to taste (losing all functions)
but i dont know how to do it...

i try and try,and try..... i dont know how taste my app on the iphone.

some body can guide me if there is a way to taste, and then uplod to app store please ?

thanks for all your help.

Taxxodium Wrote:Can you give us a list of some of the difference? I currently only check on iPod Touch.

• The iPod touch seems to execute slightly faster then the iPhone especially on load times and view transitions. I am sure it is fine with a timer but do not depend on CPU speed for anything. I had a couple of nasty race conditions when moving from iPhone (primary device) to touches (secondary test devices)

• Dealing with the silent switch is only needed on 2g and 3g iPhones, it is nasty code and impossible to test without an iPhone.

• The iPod touch 1g has no speakers but it does have the ability to play audible alerts, the second gen touch has speaker support (fun to try to determine the difference), especially if you want to access any kind of alert noise.

• When dealing with any kind of networking, the iPhone connects much faster since it is always on with 3g, edge. However with the touch it takes a while to initialize the wifi again. This was a serious problem on my current app which is going live in a few days (crossing fingers).

• On the iPhone an often overlooked polish item is not taking into account having your programing running during a speakerphone call. That green nav bar on top wrecks UIs. Try it on some big name apps it is almost always overlooked and breaks dozen of well known apps.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head mostly because I have done nothing but stare at code for up to 16 hours 7 days a week for the last month =)

One of these days I will compile a full list for my blog.

On an unrelated note (but thread related):
imaumac, I say this in the nicest way possible. If you can not afford at least one legitimate device for writing iPhone code on this platform is not for you. Start on the Mac and give it a year or two. It is unreasonable to subject either Apple testers or the general public to buggy untested code, it makes the rest of our jobs much harder. Please do not try and publish something that has not be throughly tested preferably through a network of experienced iPhone beta testers.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
buy an iPod Touch. Most devs are using them as their basic test device as you don't need them to be on any sort of contract and they're the 'base' feature set (ie no camera, phone or GPS).

Submitting a probably buggy app to the app store is wasting everyone's time, as it becomes one more bit of workload for the app store cert team (which adds to the time it takes everyone else's apps to get certified) and then means people have a buggy app that wastes their time.

It's difficult enough to catch all the bugs *with* a proper device and full testing (I should know Wink ) but if you try it without proper testing there will definitely be problems.
Your best bet is to just buy a new device. You can, technically, build out for the app store without ever testing on a device (the whole process is detailed in the program portal), but that doesn't mean you should.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
I realy thanks all of you,
and all my life i use macintosh,
mac plus, performas, 6100, 7200, andall imacs and ibooks.
you say : Start on the Mac and give it a year or two, sorry, i cant....
I have 36 years, and 70% using macs, and few objetive-C
i make 2 application for free and 2 commercial. (5MB each)

let me tell a small story, i use all the money to buy my intel mac 20 inch, my iphone, and here in my country, the intel mac,cost $3000, and iphone $700 , (american dollar)
and the salary for people in a month is $225 (el salvador 2008 oct)
I do not want to make myself the victim, in fact, I thank God that my family have all they need...., jajaj only gasoline...to xpensive ($4.25) jajajaaji.

Anipod touch its a lot of money for me, but i have an instrumental keyboard, and i will sell it, because a new ipod touch cost $500 here. is to expensive but i will get in a month. idont know how, jajaja

I cant stop a new goal in my life, its a challenge for me, to translate all to spanish, in 2 month, and make 4 simple app and finish.

I have not come up here to retire....
i realy, i repeat, realy I am very grateful to you, all of you.
you write in this post, because you want to help.
and I can see that.

one more time, thanks you, any comments are welcome any time.
thanks !

kodex Wrote:• The iPod touch 1g has no speakers but it does have the ability to play audible alerts, the second gen touch has speaker support (fun to try to determine the difference), especially if you want to access any kind of alert noise.

That reminds me, the iPod Touch 1g also does not have external system volume controls.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  App Store censorship issues during design process Dustin 5 3,352 May 20, 2009 11:38 AM
Last Post: Dustin
  About adding folders to resources folder. riruilo 1 2,822 Apr 20, 2009 03:22 AM
Last Post: saltwater
  Need help adding to a number value. Steve104 2 2,538 Dec 7, 2008 01:57 PM
Last Post: Steve104