Chipmunk Mini-Contest

Same problem for me, Volte. I don't have the SDL_sound framework installed on my machine. Most people don't.

It's nice to always try your software on a non-development box. We sent out the first copy of ScribBall without including the SDL framework. Scott and I had it in our /Library/Frameworks folder so it worked great for us... not so great for everyone who got it off versionTracker.
Quote this message in a reply
AndyKorth Wrote:Same problem for me, Volte. I don't have the SDL_sound framework installed on my machine. Most people don't.

It's nice to always try your software on a non-development box. We sent out the first copy of ScribBall without including the SDL framework. Scott and I had it in our /Library/Frameworks folder so it worked great for us... not so great for everyone who got it off versionTracker.

I don't have that luxury, but I did ask some folks in #idevgames to try it out and they didn't have problems. Anyway, I need pointers on how to tell my app to look for the libraries inside the bundle. Any help?

Cheers.

Well since everyone else is doing it:
Twilight Coders
CIMyAdmin
Whatever
You forgot to bundle SDL_mixer?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
SDL_sound is there, but if you look at the otool output I posted previously, it is using the wrong install path.

Here's what I did to "fix" it on my end:

Code:
install_name_tool -change /Users/volte/Library/Frameworks/SDL_sound.framework/Versions/A/SDL_sound @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_sound.framework/Versions/A/SDL_sound SkiDood

So now it runs, but not much happens. After I press "ski" all I get is a headless mannequin on a white background. No hills or anything else. It moves, but I don't really get what's going on.
Seth, could you make so that levels after the 3rd are randomly generated?

I love the game! Smile

⌘-R in Chief
Oh by the way, the build I uploaded was busted and only had 3 levels. Xcode didn't bundle the other 3 with it. You can download from the same link again get all 6 that I did.

I really don't think randomly generated levels would be any fun. Two of the levels (which you haven't played yet) have very different paths that you can take to complete them, which comes from hand-tweaking. That's one thing that I think makes it really fun.

*wonders where Scott is*
Any chance we could have the source Seth? No problem If you prefer not.

⌘-R in Chief
Well, the code for generic stuff like sound and textures etc, I want to make available eventually so that anyone could use it for uDG or whatnot. The rest of the code is really only about 450 lines of code, which is very very simple state handling (is the bike crashed) and drawing the ground.

It's not a terribly complicated game. Smile (Thanks Chipmunk!)

The editor's code, I'm afraid, is quite horrible. You wouldn't want it Rasp

Is there some specific bit of code you'd like to see?

--

I'm not sure where the future of the game is. I would like to finish it, but I have to come up with a set of features and some design decisions first to know what I'm going to do.
I'd like to make a random level generator. It beats playing the 6 levels over and over Smile (and I can't be bothered to draw each level)

DoG
Just upload the bloody code, Seth Rasp
Sage
Ok, sorry. My judgement is long overdue!

1st place: Dirt Bike - Quite fun. I used to love the old Dirt Bike game for OS 7. The levels are simple, but fun and challenging.
2nd place: UmPegs - Addicting with great over the top visuals. Though I think the levels have a bit less replayability than Dirt Bike due to it being less interactive.
3rd place: Many Coins - Interesting gameplay and I love the graphics. The game was a bit buggy, but has a lot of promise.
4th place: Good attempt, but not much of a game. Could have been interesting given the time to finish it.

Honorable Mentions:
kortham was working on a platformer game with rocket packs and forklifts. He posted up a version in IRC last night, but it wasn't ready in time for the deadline.

Prizes: The announced prize was a copy of ScribBall, though I know a few iDGers bought it and I don't remember who. Derek had offered a copy of BioFilm at one point. I also have a handful of serials for Zany Doodle that I was given to do with as I wished. It's Windows only, runs fine under VMWare. Seth, your pick.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
⌘-R in Chief
Neat. :-)

Well, I already bought a copy of ScribBall (support iDGers!). Zany Doodle looks pretty interesting. Too bad there's no OS X version! But I'd like to fiddle with it, so I'll take a copy of that.

Congrats to everyone.
Skorche Wrote:4th place: Good attempt, but not much of a game. Could have been interesting given the time to finish it.

*Will be interesting when it is finished

Smile

Good job everybody!

Well since everyone else is doing it:
Twilight Coders
CIMyAdmin
Whatever
⌘-R in Chief
Updated the editor for my game, btw, to fix a bunch of bugs. It's now more usable. Still limited though, but what it does have actually works now Wink

http://www.sethwillits.com/temp/DirtBikeEditor.zip
Dirt Bike is fantastic! I spent hours on the existing similar 3D game when I was in middle school. I just looked it up online again and downloaded it - I'll admit I used a pirated serial to re-register it, but only because my real serial is in a filing cabinet three hundred miles away.

FreakSW, I'm interested in helping to work on Dirt Bike if you plan to develop it further. This game has major potential that the ancient version never reached.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 4,874 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 19,500 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 13,785 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,465 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Mini Contest Ideas FlamingHairball 34 20,553 Aug 1, 2009 07:51 AM
Last Post: Oddity007