Testing on a real iPhone

Apprentice
Hello again!

I watched all the demo vids supplied by apple about development on the iPhone. One of the vids shows that you can (fairly obviously) test your apps directly on a real iPhone. I've also figured out that you must be a registered developer to do this.

My question is - do I need an individual iPhone to do the testing? I own an iPhone for my personal use - but notice that when plugged in, I'm asked if I want to use this as my testing phone.
Quote this message in a reply
You can use whatever iPhone or iPod Touch you have. You can develop on the simulator for free but you gotta pay a $100 yearly fee to upload it to the device.
Apprentice
I don't mind paying the $100 fee, but what I really need to know is - can my own personal phone double for the development phone - or does it have to be a completely separate unit? From what I've seen, it appears like xcode (or whatever is handling the hardware side of it) installs a development environment onto the target phone.

The other thing that confuses me, is - if I develop an app which uses 3G services, does that mean I also have to have a contract on the development phone too?

I've searched the Apple site - but can't find any clear information about it.
As far as I know, there shouldn't be any problems using your phone as your development device. I'm using an iPod Touch for development though, so I don't know for certain what the specific iPhone caveats may be, sorry. <snip>

[edit] Darn it, I just realized that I shouldn't be talking about that because of the NDA, so I had to remove some stuff. You will have to carefully read Apple's iPhone developer docs on it, or email an iPhone evangelist at Apple. Very sorry about that, but that's the way we have to roll with the NDA in effect.
Using your phone for development will not effect anything else on the phone.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Apprentice
Really? It just worried me that the emulator only shows a few items on the phone. I thought perhaps they had stripped out a heap of stuff for the development target phones

If it's not going to trash my phone, thats great new! AND I dont have to buy a second iPhone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL Differences between iPhone Sim and Real iPhone SparkyNZ 5 6,302 Apr 13, 2011 11:40 AM
Last Post: SparkyNZ
  Testing Legit Game on Jailbroken iPhone superdoctor 13 9,839 Dec 17, 2010 12:53 AM
Last Post: superdoctor
  What is the best iPhone for testing? captainfreedom 5 3,199 May 6, 2010 08:14 AM
Last Post: Frogblast
  iPhone testing tools bmantzey 9 5,954 Jun 30, 2009 03:51 PM
Last Post: kendric
  testing on iphone vs testing on ipod touch frozen 1 3,588 Oct 8, 2008 04:03 AM
Last Post: monteboyd