Any suggestions on 3d iphone game?

Does anybody have any idea on a 3d game for the iphone that would be popular?

3d Golf
River rafting
Scooter racing
Baseball
Rock giant (Ettin), the rock thrower contest
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I think the cart games have been done to death for right now. Katamari is a great choice, almost makes me want to do it. Baseball would be cool, might be hard to implement with the controls.
Port Doom or Marathon to the iPhone. Until Quake 3 is released, there are no shooters for the iPhone.

Keep in mind though that adding your game to the AppStore takes a long time...

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
The whole Quake 3 thing on the iPhone is unlike anything I imagined would ever happen. Who knows where it could go? The possibilities seem endless. Of course, that won't be seen unless Apple releases NDA. Will Apple ever release NDA? I'm starting to wonder...

As to what would be "best" or "most popular"? It's anyone's guess. Now that I've played with it myself, it is clear to me that there are many ways of gaming on iPhone that haven't been imagined yet.

I suspect that "time-killing" games will ultimately be the best-sellers, rather than two-minute novelties. I imagine that a large percentage of iPhone game buyers will be travelers stuck at travel points like airports. Slow-paced games like story-based games (adventures) and puzzles seem like good bets. Golf can be played slowly. Card games are good like that too because they are usually slow-paced strategy games -- not that I'm advocating creating any more card games. I think twitch-kills like doom/marathon/etc. will be more novelty. They might see good sales, but I'm not sure that they'll be hits in the long-run. But who knows?
+1 for Katamari, it was one of the options I considered for my next game, but decided on something else. 3D golf is a glearing gap, but a gap that many others would no doubt have seen.
Quote:Keep in mind though that adding your game to the AppStore takes a long time...
For a competitive game it's going to take at least a couple of months to create, so you never know what the competition will be by then anyway. At this stage your safest bet might be to chose something that hasn't been done before and would fill a gap in any gaming market other than the iPhone. My guess would be that in 2 months time you will be not only competing with thousands more games, but most of them will be exactly the most obvious missing games right now.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
reubert Wrote:My guess would be that in 2 months time you will be not only competing with thousands more games, but most of them will be exactly the most obvious missing games right now.

That's my guess too. I don't know about *thousands* in two months, but it's certainly going to get really crowded, really soon, with a lot of the same games. I'm betting 900 games by Christmas. Of those, probably only 50 will be original games, worthy of note. I just hope Apple finds a way to help promote those good games rather than letting them be killed by dilution.
AnotherJake Wrote:That's my guess too. I don't know about *thousands* in two months, but it's certainly going to get really crowded, really soon, with a lot of the same games. I'm betting 900 games by Christmas. Of those, probably only 50 will be original games, worthy of note. I just hope Apple finds a way to help promote those good games rather than letting them be killed by dilution.

Don't count on it. Best I can tell, Apple is leaving the custom apps up to the developers and trying to keep themselves as detached as possible. Can't say I blame them. And with the right market, it could be beneficial. But I doubt it will go that way.

Mac users swear by their computers, PC users swear at their computers. ~Unknown

iSayz
You're probably right about that. Still, it seems to me it'd be beneficial to Apple to find a way to promote a good signal to noise ratio in their app store. Right now I can't seem to find anything very easily at all on the iPod. Not to mention that the app store is half broken for me right now when browsing in iTunes, with entire subcategories listing nothing. What a mess!
I have 3 games coming out at the same time so add that to the thousands =)

I really wish Apple would step in and filter out some of the noise that is appearing in the App Store, we don't need 15 flashlight apps, or a $10 app to generate a random number. I see get potential for the referral program they are running now. So far versiontracker appears to be the only ones to really take advantage of it.
kodex Wrote:I see get potential for the referral program they are running now. So far versiontracker appears to be the only ones to really take advantage of it.

Me too. I have the touchgamer.com domain for this purpose, but not enough time to actually develop it right now. I imagine it would take a couple of months, and would prefer to focus on actual games. Sigh. So much to do, so little time.

Best of luck with your games kodex Smile

And WRT the thousands of games thing... I truly believe that there will be over 1000 games on the App Store by 23rd September. (yes - I love saying 'I told you so' so much that I risk saying things like that) Rasp

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
reubert Wrote:And WRT the thousands of games thing... I truly believe that there will be over 1000 games on the App Store by 23rd September. (yes - I love saying 'I told you so' so much that I risk saying things like that) Rasp

Alright, you're on! This'll be fun to see who's right! The prize is bragging rights. Anybody else have a prediction?
What's that about NDA? Why would Apple need to release NDA to develop something like Quake? Is there something in there that prevents them from releasing the game?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Q3 is licensed publicly under the terms of the GPL, which means that you have to distribute all the code for your game, which means that it will expose the iPhone API and thus violate NDA.

[adding] And actually, way in the back of my mind, I wonder just how much Quake3 being available on iPhone has to do with them holding back on the NDA? I wonder if big companies like EA are complaining about it behind closed doors. There is obviously a LOT of money at stake for third parties. Maybe they don't like the idea of competing directly with Joe indie using Q3, at least not until they get a chance to show their goods first? ... I dunno ... crazy tin-foil hat stuff I guess...
AnotherJake Wrote:Alright, you're on! This'll be fun to see who's right! The prize is bragging rights. Anybody else have a prediction?

1500. Rasp

-LG

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/