Anticipation

Not sure if this is covered in the NDA, but how long did you guys have to wait for entry into the iPhone Dev Program? I've been awaiting a reply for an inordinate amount of time and getting angry and anxious.

Mac users swear by their computers, PC users swear at their computers. ~Unknown

iSayz
Quote this message in a reply
Yes, it is frustrating. I applied back when the beta started and they finally processed me and let me in yesterday (or the day before? ... time is already blurring...). When did you sign up?
I signed up months and months ago and got in almost immediately. No idea why.
Luminary
Unless you have a product ready to ship, why do you care whether they've accepted you yet or not?
Sage
I hate to say it, but I think that it's largely random. The good news:
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/12/appl...r-program/

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Unless you have a product ready to ship, why do you care whether they've accepted you yet or not?

Good question, so that begs the answer that I'm waiting on them to launch my product.

iSayz
OneSadCookie Wrote:Unless you have a product ready to ship, why do you care whether they've accepted you yet or not?

That's a good point, but there are actually important differences between the simulator and the device: specifically in my case, the simulator doesn't simulate actual finger touches. Since I've now been able to test on an actual device, I'm having to redo a critical game element and all its graphics, which I thought would work, which is turning out to be quite a hassle. Would've been better to have the device on-hand (nice pun huh?).
So when you pay the 100 $ fee you get a device to test on?

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Hairball183 Wrote:So when you pay the 100 $ fee you get a device to test on?
No. You have to purchase your own iPhone or iPod Touch to develop on.

BTW, I bought an iPod Touch when the beta started so that I could at least take screenshots of my game in the simulator and then transfer them to the iPod to see if the proportions worked out right. That was very handy indeed, but not nearly as cool as the real-deal.
AnotherJake Wrote:BTW, I bought an iPod Touch when the beta started so that I could at least take screenshots of my game in the simulator and then transfer them to the iPod to see if the proportions worked out right. That was very handy indeed, but not nearly as cool as the real-deal.

Ah yes, for "testing purposes". I just bought a 3G for "testing purposes" too!

Just kidding... it is important to remember that pixels are much smaller on the device. A big visible thing on the simulator can easily be lost on an actual device, so I can see how that would be useful.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Ha! Yeah, I wasn't actually planning on getting one at first, but my buddy managed to "twist my arm" into it. Wink His argument was that I really needed to play with the actual thing so that I'd get a feel for how it's supposed to look and feel. I have to admit he was right about that. Plus it turned out to be even cooler than I thought. Since the day I got the Touch, my iPod Video has been relegated to expensive portable 80 GB hard drive. Kinda sad actually... Darn Apple and their progress!
Any idea what it would take to remove yourself from the dev program?

iSayz
Luminary
Just let it lapse at the end of the year if you've already paid, I don't see what you'd gain by getting out earlier. You will of course still be bound by the NDAs you've signed.
reubert Wrote:Ah yes, for "testing purposes". I just bought a 3G for "testing purposes" too!

Just kidding...

LOLLOLLOL

* FlamingHairball is envious

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
OneSadCookie Wrote:Just let it lapse at the end of the year if you've already paid, I don't see what you'd gain by getting out earlier. You will of course still be bound by the NDAs you've signed.

I meant more of if I didn't mean to enter the program in the first place. What do you suppose would be best course of action for getting a refund?

iSayz