Language/Tutorial/Info

That was my main intention when I started. I suggest you stay away from Cocoa: It's tons of fun, and can be VERY distracting. Rasp

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Quote this message in a reply
Well, I've been doing things by myself quite a lot during my life and I can concentrate quite well, IMO. I'm in martial arts and I work as hard as I can on it. In fact, today I did a 1000 kick drill and completely wore myself out. *gasp*

Anyhow, I've got a question:

Could I conceivably make a 2D game engine similar to Avernum, or that kind of game with C?
You can make whatever you want. I would say something like Avernum is quite a few years down the road for you if that's what you want to do, but anything is possible with raw work, combined with a good attitude and perseverance. The more you learn, the more you'll learn that you have more to learn. It isn't anywhere near as easy as any of us thought when we started out, but technically speaking, anything is possible.
I'm glad to hear that. I don't plan to make a game engine like Avernum any time soon. I do plan to make a very simple top down 2D game engine and as I learn more and more about C, I would keep upgrading it.

Thanks for replying to my thread guys.

Edit:
I've got another question, should I learn C Visual or just plain C for a small 2D game engine.
I don't think there is such a thing as "C Visual". You're probably thinking of Visual C++, which I believe is what Microsoft (use to?) call there C++ programming environment.
What on Earth is C Visual?
He is probably referring to Microsoft's Visual Studio tools. Visual C++ includes a C compiler, so I'm guessing that may be how the misunderstanding started.

@PatrickA: There is only one C -- no "Visual" or anything else. We do all our development on the Mac using Xcode, which uses GCC for compiling C. That book that I recommended at the top of the thread should explain all the gory details.
Thanks. I wasn't sure what it was.

I'm getting the book you mentioned. Smile

Update:

Jake, I'm looking at that book (Learn C on the Macintosh) and I was also looking at Cocoa Game Programming Workshop (http://www.spiderworks.com/books/cocoagame.php) by the same author. My question is, if I want to make a 2D game engine, why is C better the Cocoa?
Do you know the basics of programming?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
C != alternative to Cocoa. Cocoa is -As AnotherJake said- an API. Objective-C/Objective C++ are used to program Cocoa. The beauty of this is that you can use just C/C++, OR, you can use it in coordination with Objective C/C++. So C is not an alternative to Cocoa, but something that can be used in coordination with Cocoa.

Hope this helps,

-LG

BTW: API = Application Programming Interface Wink

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Seriously, just pick something and stop questioning yourself in this thread. C is fine. Python is fine. Java is fine.

I could solve this for you right now, via royal decree: Learn C with SDL. This link will get you started. Go through whatever C resource you're on, then go to the link above and have a blast.

The language/library differences are insignificant for what you want to do. The best thing you can do is to pick one thing and go with it, and NOT try to learn more than one thing at once, no matter how much confidence you have in yourself. It will be easier for everyone if you just stick to one thing that will carry you where you need to go.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
PatrickA Wrote:... My question is, if I want to make a 2D game engine, why is C better the Cocoa?

As everyone has already pointed out, Cocoa is a library of pre-programmed stuff (an API), not a language. You need to use Objective-C (which is a language) to access Cocoa optimally. To learn Objective-C you will need to know C first. Also, if you want to learn C++ you will need to learn C first (or at least concurrently). You don't need to use Cocoa to make a game engine, since you could use other libraries for games, such as SDL. I like Cocoa for game programming, but it's just one option among many. But no matter how you cut it, all the high-performance paths require learning C first. There just isn't really any way around that.
Thank you very much, guys. As a non-programmer it's confusing what everything is and how it works together. Thanks to you, though, the image is a lot less fuzzy now. Smile

Oh yes, by the way, happy birthday Mr. Carlos Camacho!!
If you asked this question a month later I'd have a really nice answer for you.

For now, http://processing.org isn't a bad idea I think. Download it, go through tutorials. You'd probably not want to program a game engine with it but it would put some programming concepts and graphics programming techniques up your sleeve..... Unless you already have a basic grasp of programming then I'd suggest you skip to something else.

diordna Wrote:It will be easier for everyone if you just stick to one thing that will carry you where you need to go.

Without experience, how do I tell if something could carry me to where I need to go? processing didn't, TNTbasic didn't, Java not so well....

Keep walking and you'd still end up in C.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  is There any OpenGL tutorial with C language?? Goomba 8 10,827 Jan 24, 2009 10:14 AM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook