Pixelmator or ???

Founder
I need an alternative to PhotoShop for my new Mac. I'm thinking of purchasing Pixelmator, especially as it helps support a Mac dev (i.e. not mega-company who destroyed by GoLive app LOL )

Anyhow, I like the demo. Not crazy that it doesn't give more options for outputting web-ready images. (Uses standard Mac file saving window).

I know about the Gimp, not sure why I deleted it. I think I also tried the native, non-X version as well.

I'm going to give SeaShore and MacCinePaint a go next.

Any advice?

p.s. Now where did my Color-It! registration # go? lol

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
I was most impressed with Acorn when investigating image editors in that price range. Though then I went and bought photoshop because it just does everything and you can't really compete with that.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Adobe has some great educational discounts if that helps anything at all. Other then that I can't recommend any other applications.
Where could you find a non-x version of Gimp? (By X, I assume you mean X11 and not OS X)

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
As a registered user of Pixelmator, I do not recommend Pixelmator. John Gruber likes Acorn, and he is usually right about such things.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
I got Pixelmator through MacHeist, which wasn't a bad deal, but I can't recommend it for anything in which you want a lot of precision and professionalism. It lacks things like the ability to indicate dimensions for selection sizes in pixels, it doesn't have the ability to put grids over images, there aren't any vector tools, it lacks a lot of buttons and shortcuts that make working with PhotoShop intuitive (you have to explicitly switch to the zoom tool to get precise zooming on your image). I am, however, a big fan of the GIMP. It's still not as easy and polished an experience as PhotoShop, but with a little extra work you can do anything in it that you can in PS.

What is fun in Pixelmator, though, is the ability to take a picture with a webcam and apply all of CoreImage's neat reflection filters and make crazy kaleidoscope pictures for hours.
Hairball183 Wrote:Where could you find a non-x version of Gimp? (By X, I assume you mean X11 and not OS X)
Google gimp.app
Apprentice
If it's pixel art you are doing, then I recommend Pixen highly. Over all nice and simple package and its free.

http://opensword.org/Pixen/

SeaShore is also very nice/free.
My friends and I had been using Pixen for a while, but I've found it to be a little buggy. It probably is still the best thing for pixel editing work. I have noticed that files saved on a PPC won't work on an Intel Mac and vice-versa. Heh... Unless you're doing animation or layers in Pixen, you're better off always saving in png anyway.
Founder
What ever happen to that painting app from years ago. Back when Photoshop was at 2.0. It was pretty popular.

I will check out everyone's recommendations.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
There's a new image editing application just released today:

http://nolobe.com/iris/

I figured people might be interested, in case anyone is still looking for alternatives. It retails for $79.
⌘-R in Chief
Photoshop Elements half bad. If you're not using the high end features, it does everything that Photoshop does. Certainly more than Pixelmator...
Nibbie
Hi Carlos, probably not appropriate but interesting nonetheless is 'Artrage' - ive used it for years and its the best low impact drawing and painting software there is and i's definitely wholemeal - the developers are very nice and based in rural New Zealand....

I also wanted to ask you something if you dont mind, I noticed in your (now quite old) post about the development of 'Nanocrisis' that you developed and used 'OpenTeddy' - a piece of software that I love and use on windows when I need to. I have seen other (now dead) links to mac os x versions of it and would love to use it without having to boot another machine.... so im wondering if you have or know where I might find a mac os x compiled version of it?

many thanks

Christian Krupa
Founder
Artrage is very very cool. I think I would like to buy it if I ever get a tablet as a present.

Quote:Nanocrisis
Actually, I am not the developer of this game.

lol

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames