Unity3D buyer

diordna Wrote:You have nothing to lose by trying it, but if you don't like it and buy it blind, you'll have wasted $130.

Hairball hasn't mastered the art of sarcasm yet -- especially online, where even the best of us don't have E.S.P.

Quote:/me wonders where everyone got the idea that I wasn't going to try the trial.

Not like I need to point it out for him, but I am just now barely starting to worry if someone might think I'm chanting: "buy it... buy it... buy it..."

Maybe I should? Sneaky
Quote this message in a reply
AnotherJake Wrote:Hairball hasn't mastered the art of sarcasm yet -- especially online, where even the best of us don't have E.S.P.

Maybe I should just stop trying…

AnotherJake Wrote:Not like I need to point it out for him, but I am just now barely starting to worry if someone might think I'm chanting: "buy it... buy it... buy it..."

I think you are.Rasp Oh well, the worst that could happen is I buy it dislike it, go for OpenGL instead, and hang around here and ask questions.(And dump off my depression on you guys).

Anyway - sarcasm aside - Thanks for the advice everyone

-LG

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Definitely try the demo. You may find using Unity uncomfortable at first, but once you really get into it, it's really nice and gives you to do the freedom of whatever you want.

Btw, just because you buy Unity, doesn't mean you have to use it exclusively Wink
I bought it, and am waiting for my serial number.

- Lincoln Green
Hairball183 Wrote:I bought it, and am waiting for my serial number.
Didn't you say something about trying the demo first? And didn't we agree that that would be a VERY GOOD IDEA?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Yes, we did. AnotherJake, BronxBomber, Funkboy, and 30 minutes of playing around with it convinced me though. If I don't like it, I'll let you say "I told you so!" all you want(Once I'm finished with AnotherJake, that is).

- Lincoln Green
Nibbie
kodex Wrote:Personally I hate those make-a-game programs I feel that they really stifle ones ability to freely create what they want. I think I am one of a dying breed though, download the demo first.

I really like Unity. It's not really a "Create a game" program so much as a nice GUI with some built in features. Sure the physics engine takes some fun away from programming, but it's a very useful tool if you're going to be working alone or on a small, two man team. I have found that there are a number of possibilities for unity, not just the ones the Unity guys wants us to make. I have played racing, first person shooter, puzzle, and strategy games based on it, and am currently working on my first unity project in the demo, ( a moon lander game )

It's certainly less linear than FPS creator!

Playing with the demo, I would have to say that it is probably not for the hardcore programmers who want to do EVERYTHING themselves, it's more for the casual developer or small business.
Wait a minute.... Unity is only $130? With my programming bookshelf, heck, I could buy two copies -- maybe even three!
[/rant]
Has anyone heard anything about iPhone support for Unity? They announced it quite awhile ago, but I have heard nothing from them since then...

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
There's a big long thread of scattered information on the forum is the best that's available:
http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=10496

Here's a quote from Tom of Unity from the last page:
Quote:There is nothing firm to share other than the fact that we'll be having a "Developing for the iPhone" session at Unite this year, we wouldn't do that unless it was available by then or at worst some time right after. Grin

Unite is the annual Unity Developer Conference scheduled for this fall. Come see me do a session about the Unity Editor APIs! Whee!

Cheers,
-Jon
⌘-R in Chief
If it wasn't in Denmark, maybe I'd go Smile