A little E-flat minor 7 anyone?

Apprentice
If you haven't already guessed...i'm a composer for film and games. I'm new to the forum, and I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jon Pierre...I won't be much help in the programming world, but if you have any questions or need advice about music, recording, and/or the production of it...fire away! Glad to be here.

JP
Quote this message in a reply
Glad to have you JP, a lot of us here are very ungifted when it comes to sound and musical effects so I am sure that services will come in very handy.
Oldtimer
Seconded, multidisciplinary advice always come in handy. Smile
Apprentice
Thanks kodex...and uhhh, Fenris..i'll take that into consideration Smile hehe
Apprentice
Hey guys,

Where do you think i should post in this forum to offer my services?
JP
J_Pierre Wrote:Where do you think i should post in this forum to offer my services?

The Designer's Studio forum would probably be the most appropriate place. I'll go ahead and move this thread there.

Also, I have a question for you, actually. Do you have any links to resources (articles, books, guides, tutorials, anything of the sort) which are specifically for video game music composition? I've been able to find shockingly little. Most of what I've found when I've looked has been about general music theory, playing real instruments, or some specific genre of music that has nothing directly to do with games...
Apprentice
ThemsAllTook Wrote:The Designer's Studio forum would probably be the most appropriate place. I'll go ahead and move this thread there.

Also, I have a question for you, actually. Do you have any links to resources (articles, books, guides, tutorials, anything of the sort) which are specifically for video game music composition? I've been able to find shockingly little. Most of what I've found when I've looked has been about general music theory, playing real instruments, or some specific genre of music that has nothing directly to do with games...

I don't know if anything specific to creating music for games. I think it's because the music is very specific to whatever game you're producing. So because the music style changes for each game, a specific approach would be difficult to theorize. But if you'd like some great reading on composition for film, there 's a book called "The Art of Film Music" by George Burt. It's a little academic, but it's very detailed. In general you can apply the same techniques in films to video games. The main difference though is that Video game scores can be very interactive and should be able to change during gameplay depending on a players actions.

Hope that helps!
Well, heh. E flat minor 7 (that's a flat 7, right?) is like the chord I play the most often. When ever I play the piano, I almost always start out with a really simple E blues...

Er, sorry, I'm just pining for a piano, haven't played much since uni started a year ago. :-)

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - In memory of Douglas Adams.
My Site
J_Pierre Wrote:The main difference though is that Video game scores can be very interactive and should be able to change during gameplay depending on a players actions.

Note sure if this is what you were mentioning, but I once read that some games had tried manipulating the in-game soundtracks to reflect the actions of the player (if he's fighting, there's more bass and drums, perhaps)...is this what you were referencing? If so, I'll definitely be sure to check out that book, since I've been interested in doing this for some time Smile

Thanks,
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
wyrmmage Wrote:Note sure if this is what you were mentioning, but I once read that some games had tried manipulating the in-game soundtracks to reflect the actions of the player (if he's fighting, there's more bass and drums, perhaps)...is this what you were referencing? If so, I'll definitely be sure to check out that book, since I've been interested in doing this for some time Smile

Yes. I myself haven't done this personally but I've worked on at least two projects (Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus and Star Trek: Tactical Assault that do this. From what I understand that we do, we have chunks of music where the beginning and end of each can flow into another chunk. So if you're flying around and a ship comes out to attack you, we can adjust the music so that it flows into the "you're being attacked music" without any breaks.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Apprentice
wyrmmage Wrote:Note sure if this is what you were mentioning, but I once read that some games had tried manipulating the in-game soundtracks to reflect the actions of the player (if he's fighting, there's more bass and drums, perhaps)...is this what you were referencing? If so, I'll definitely be sure to check out that book, since I've been interested in doing this for some time Smile

Thanks,
-wyrmmage

Yeah...that's exactly what i'm talking about. But the book I mentioned is actually an old book, with some examples from old moves from the 40's and 50's. It won't speak specifically to gaming at all. It will however give you some solid ways to think about scoring to picture, because that's really what all of this is. Smile
Apprentice
Hey wyrmmage,

I'm sending you a pm. Smile
ah, ok...thanks for the information guys, I'll have to buy that book sometime Smile
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/