What about Gibraltar and Malta?

Hi friends!

I don't know anything about company managment or legal issues, but I have a question regarding this topic.
In my country, Spain, taxes are more or less high. My question is: Can I create a company in another country/place with low taxes and receive Apple profits there? (Gibraltar, Malta, Isle of Man... even maybe Ireland)
I know many betting companies are in Gibraltar, why not iPhone developers?

What do you think about this topic?

Thanks a lot for your opinion.
Quote this message in a reply
You probably can. It is very possible that the Spanish equivalent of the IRS will hunt you down for tax evasion and use this post as evidence.

Now, what do I think about the topic? I think you should pay your taxes so that civil servants (police, fire, military, etc.) can pay for food, housing, their children's college, you know, the stuff that is more important than the extra money you will have to spend on useless vanity items.
Mostly you'll need to balance time you spend on the extra paperwork or hiring expert legal advice vs. the amount of money you might save. I can't speak as to any of those countries, but I do know it's pretty common in the United States to open a business in a different state than you live in for tax purposes.

However, to really answer this question, you probably need a tax/law expert familiar both with the laws of Spain and your destination country.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
longjumper Wrote:It is very possible that the Spanish equivalent of the IRS will hunt you down for tax evasion and use this post as evidence.

FBI, nobody move!

Some countries do not allow residents to operate offshore companies (and pay taxes there) if the practical operations base is in the country of residence. Some countries do.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Thanks for replies.

I'm not talking about if it is ethical or not, I'm talking about if it is legal or not.
Many betting companies are there and operate in Spain, I believe that offshore companies are legal but I'm not sure.

Thanks.
Apprentice
What about Andorra?, remember the Vicario's problem with Hacienda, hehehe.
Eskema Wrote:What about Andorra?, remember the Vicario's problem with Hacienda, hehehe.

I don't know that story. Any link?
Thanks.
Apprentice
Recuerda la familia Sanchez Vicario (los tenistas) que por querer evadir impuestos decian que vivian en Andorra, luego hacienda les metio un buen paquete por todos los años sin cotizar aqui Wink
longjumper Wrote:Now, what do I think about the topic? I think you should pay your taxes so that civil servants (police, fire, military, etc.) can pay for food, housing, their children's college, you know, the stuff that is more important than the extra money you will have to spend on useless vanity items.

unfortunately, even though you may try to choose the moral highground, your competitors will not. Apple has holdings in nevada instead of California for just this reason. Unlike Apple, I am sure indiedevs visiting this forum are not rolling in cash anyway.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Eskema Wrote:Recuerda la familia Sanchez Vicario (los tenistas) que por querer evadir impuestos decian que vivian en Andorra, luego hacienda les metio un buen paquete por todos los años sin cotizar aqui Wink

Yeah, I remember. By the way, I guees I can live in another country without problems.

Thanks.
Eskema Wrote:Recuerda la familia Sanchez Vicario (los tenistas) que por querer evadir impuestos decian que vivian en Andorra, luego hacienda les metio un buen paquete por todos los años sin cotizar aqui Wink

Gosh my spanish teacher would be so proud that I almost understood that.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
cmiller Wrote:Gosh my spanish teacher would be so proud that I almost understood that.

Wonderful! Wink