mmorpg , please dear god...

Apprentice
Ok, my name id dave Smile

Its 2:45am here and im typing as fast as i can so please excuse very bad spelling.

Im 16, started game design at 13, made 2 games, "fish's adventure 1/2" the second one was done in code.

They both took me a year. (on my own)

Im gonna try mmorpg , a small text bassed one , I have (so far) 2 other people who will help (I dont think they really will help much though)

I have latest version of php , mysql and apatche , Php files dont work as im unsure on how to use them , im unsure if the configuration files are correct however they are as they came with the install so....

What else do I need?

I own a *paid* freewebs account (http://www.360freakz.com) ...could I use this for testing? (other than localhost)

how does the process work? Do i make a html page with links that go to pages with both html and php code that *somehow* connects to a database (Where would this have to be?) that edits varibles and then displays them back on the now loaded html/php page?

Ughh...so sleeeppy...

Please get back to me (reply here), if you write in detail ill get back to you woth even MORE detail.. Wink

Thanks for reading.

Goodnight!

Annoyed
Quote this message in a reply
One if you are too tired to type properly it can wait till morning. Please slow down when you type also, it is for our benefit not yours.

Second the project you are talking about is massive if you do not have the basic concepts of web based programming yet then you may need to step back from it for a few years. You will need some form of web based programming and some form of database I suggest that you research them throughly.

Third this is a MACINTOSH programming forum. You will have much better luck at a web programming forum.

Sorry if I appear short but we get way to many people in here trying to take on projects way beyond their ability. Start small and work up. You have two games under your belt it is time to go slightly more complex, not time to go to the hardest possible idea.
Apprentice
Ok, Im awake.

I was researching all of this and finished 3:15am.

Web programming? Yeah, Im new, I Know basic HTML, CSS and XML.

However PHP doesn't seem that difficult to me. As it seems very simular to HMTL (Just extended).

I also have thought about doing this for years. Just never got far.

The mysql database seems fair enough, Ive made a basic one to *hopefully* record users that register on a website.

However Im stuck at getting PHP files to be executed on my apache server.

It simply opens a new a new page with the code written on it.

Anyway, Do you think its possible to make the most smallist basic form of mmorpg?

I did start small and work up, Im not gonna go for something amazing, good, or even adverage. I'm hopping to make a HTML page that uses the server-side language known as PHP to first of all DO SOMETHING.

All I see, and I mean all I see. Everywhere on the internet is a, "Don't bother, too hard" attitude.

I can clearly understand why. But no one really goes into detail why.

Ok, I wanna start up small, but please say where I have to go in the long run.

Its as if everyone has lost all hope.

Please dont get me wrong, Im not another "Runescape is my idea, how many weeks is it gonna take?"

I spent 2 years making the most basic of all games. And now I want to start to learn the core languages, programs, skills needed to get me on my way.

So , please give me some advice on what to learn , what to do , what to expect and above all , What I should be aiming for.

Cheers

Dave.
I looked at freeweb's webpage, and they don't say anywhere that they support php... so they probably don't. I'm not sure which hosting plan you paid for, but none of them look sufficient for any kind of web application. Does freeweb host your mysql database?
take a gander at google's App Engine—you can write the code in python, which is a lot less of a headache than php, and you can develop the app on your own computer while you wait for an account. Plus, then you don't need to worry about maintaining database and account crap, google does that for you.

Plus, it's free! Grin

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
If you have a Mac, start by downloading MAMP, it's a self contained package including Apache, MySQL & PHP (hence the MAMP name, the M being for "Mac") as well as simple management tools for starting and managing the server and the database.

If you are on a PC, try XAMPP.
Apprentice
No php surport on freewebs? Damn...

At the momment my database isnt hosted on anything, its simply on my computer as I need a sever (apache) to try it out.

I have windows , and last night at 2:30pm I found "WAMP" (the windows version)

I never heard of XAMPP though...

I'll take a look - thanks.

Sorry Nayr, Ive gone this far with PHP and Mysql, so Im sticking with it Wink

Cheers guys!
Apprentice
First, im sorry for double posting , I no how the majority of admins hate the thing. But I coudn't find the "Edit" button anywhere...

I just fixed my PHP proplem, and am now working on gettting a better database to set it up.

Very happy at the momment , my 2 other buddys are doing the same and setting up there apache servers.

Is there anything im missing?

I can't help but thing I am...
⌘-R in Chief
subwayheaven Wrote:Is there anything im missing?

I can't help but thing I am...

Just proper spelling and grammar. Slow down. Proofread your post before you hit submit.
Apprentice
I'm a 16 year old with better things to do then spend my own time "spell checking" everything I post, as long as you guys can understand me, I dont really think its that important...

Thanks for the "nice comment" anyway.
⌘-R in Chief
Yep. I'm a jerk. What do I care if people think poorly of - and are less inclined to help - you because you don't spend the extra 30 seconds to clean up your posts?
subwayheaven Wrote:I'm a 16 year old with better things to do then spend my own time "spell checking" everything I post, as long as you guys can understand me, I dont really think its that important...

LOLLOL

I suggest you take FreakSoftware's advice. He's a smart guy.Wink

Oh, and it is really hard to understand posts that have misspellings and incorrect grammar/punctuation. It will save us 30 seconds trying to comprehend your meaning if you spend 30 seconds with a spell checker.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Apprentice
Did my previous post have any grammer/misspellings?

And if it did, Sorry if you had to "decode" it, but i'm doing my best.

Now, back to topic?

Thanks.
Luminary
*grammar Rasp
subwayheaven Wrote:Did my previous post have any grammer/misspellings?

And if it did, Sorry if you had to "decode" it, but i'm doing my best.

Now, back to topic?

Thanks.

Sorry if I sounded rude or anything, but here is a doctored version of your original post:

Quote:Ok, my name is dave

Its 2:45am here and i'm typing as fast as I can so please excuse very bad spelling.

I'm 16, started game design at 13, made 2 games; "fish's adventure 1/2". The second one was done in code.

They both took me a year(on my own).

I'm gonna' try a mmorpg; a small text based one. I have (so far) 2 other people who will help (I dont think they really will help much though).

I have the latest version of php, mysql, and apache. Php files don't work as I'm unsure on how to use them – I'm unsure if the configuration files are correct; however they are as they came with the install....

What else do I need?

I own a *paid* freewebs account (http://www.360freakz.com) ...could I use this for testing? (other than localhost)

How does the process work? Do I make an html page with links that go to pages with both html and php code that *somehow* connects to a database (Where would this have to be?) that edits varibles and then displays them back on the now loaded html/php page?

Ughh...so sleeeppy...

Please get back to me (reply here); if you write in detail I'll get back to you with even MORE detail..

Thanks for reading.

Goodnight!

And I'm sure there's problems that I introduced, plus problems that I didn't catch. Anyway, I'll stop now…

-LG

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/