WWDC Attendees?

Anybody here planning to attend WWDC?
What is the real worth of attending? I am no longer a student, so it would cost a pretty penny. I wonder if it is more worthwhile as a networking event than technical matter, or if it's important to know people before you go... any insight would be appreciated.

I am only beginning to get into real Cocoa development... I had used Rapid App Dev. tools before, but now I'm looking to jump into Objective C whole hog. I think WWDC is more for people already fairly well established with Objective C and Apple's APIs, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
When is the conference and where?

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
⌘-R in Chief
I'll probably be going. When I was there last year, there were plenty of sessions that were geared toward beginners, so you'd probably have no trouble finding ones that are relevant to you. I wouldn't say you need to know people before you go, but be sure to hook up with me and other iDevGames members if you end up going. Smile

There was one thing I didn't really get last year, though. For those of you who've gone before, what value do you get from the labs? I couldn't really figure out how they were supposed to be used.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:I'll probably be going. When I was there last year, there were plenty of sessions that were geared toward beginners, so you'd probably have no trouble finding ones that are relevant to you. I wouldn't say you need to know people before you go, but be sure to hook up with me and other iDevGames members if you end up going. Smile
Did you pay yourself, or did someone else foot the $1200+ bill? With a hotel and everything, I'm looking at well over $2000 for the week of festivities... would have to be really fun and educational, though!

Quote:There was one thing I didn't really get last year, though. For those of you who've gone before, what value do you get from the labs? I couldn't really figure out how they were supposed to be used.
I have a similar question about the labs.

@karlbecker_com
Luminary
For me, the value of WWDC was in meeting people, Apple folks, iDevGamers, and mailing list vets alike. The majority of the sessions were not hugely interesting or useful, mostly recapping what had already been said hundreds of times before.
OneSadCookie Wrote:For me, the value of WWDC was in meeting people, Apple folks, iDevGamers, and mailing list vets alike. The majority of the sessions were not hugely interesting or useful, mostly recapping what had already been said hundreds of times before.
OSC, have the relationships lasted? I really don't know what type of attendees go... I'm assuming not too many independent folks, and moreso people from fairly large companies?

I've not done much Cocoa or Objective C development, and I wonder if the classes would be of use to a newer guy like myself...

Also, does anyone know what time it ends on Friday? Would leaving at noon be really bad, or do things pretty much wind up by then?

@karlbecker_com
So, my ticket has been purchased. Woohoo, it's exciting!

When I was there last year, things were definitely winding down by Friday afternoon. The sessions I went to then were kind of the dregs of the conference, and didn't seem particularly worth the time. Dunno if that's anything like other years, though.

Personally, I found almost all of the sessions highly interesting and useful. Presumably, it just depends on how much you keep up with the latest technology by other means (I was pretty behind on Leopard at the time), and your personal learning style.
Luminary
I met a bunch of Apple folks in person, who have all been useful contacts. I met four or five iDevGamers, which was nice to put faces to names, and I think my online relationships with those people have benefited. I met various people from medium sized companies (ATI, Blizzard, etc.) which I haven't really drawn on, but probably could have, and a bunch of other random interesting people, mostly students and indie developers.

If you are behind on tech and good at learning from lectures, then the sessions may be useful to you. I went in 2005 (Tiger, year 2; Intel transition), where almost every session was a straight re-run of the previous year's sessions (which I'd seen some of on ADC TV). I imagine that 2006 and 2007 were interesting, talking about unreleased Leopard. This year, I fully expect that the non-iPhone sessions will be exact replicas of last year's.
So they extended early bird signup... Now I'm here, yet again, considering more.

What are people's recommendations for hotels or places to stay? I really don't want to pay $200 every night...

@karlbecker_com
[Image: AlexEricRobinChrisWWDC08.jpg]

From left to right: Alex (ThemsAllTook), Eric (ss2cire), Robin (volte), Chris (CrackBunny)

Anyone else here this year? I ran into some unexpected iDevGames folks last year, so if you're here and I haven't met you yet, let me know!
Sage
Speaking today @ 3:30 in SOMA.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:From left to right: Alex (ThemsAllTook), Eric (ss2cire), Robin (volte), Chris (CrackBunny)

Anyone else here this year? I ran into some unexpected iDevGames folks last year, so if you're here and I haven't met you yet, let me know!
Alex continues to sweep the "Best Beard" category.
arekkusu Wrote:Speaking today @ 3:30 in SOMA.

I was there. Will see if I can catch up with you at the lab tomorrow, maybe?
Sage
Yep, I'll be in lab.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WWDC 2013 Zwilnik 9 2,363 Jun 11, 2013 10:48 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  WWDC 2011 SethWillits 5 5,681 Jun 5, 2011 02:30 PM
Last Post: kodex
  Wwdc 2010 stevejohnson 14 7,096 May 29, 2010 09:20 AM
Last Post: skyhawk